Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to rotate the sketch coordinate system of a part that was generated by in-context editing

john_P37john_P37 Member Posts: 25 PRO
   I have a simple rectangular plate.  It was generated for the first time by in-context editing of an assembly. That assembly had some items angled at 45 degrees, and somehow this plate picked up that coordinate system.    So if I draw a new square in a sketch for this part, it is oriented at 45 degrees to how I want it.  It is possible to change the base coordinate systems so that subsequent sketches are along x', y', z',  not x,y,z?   I tried Transform, and this sort of works: it only transforms the part, so new sketches are in the correct orientation. Unfortunately, old sketches are left unrotated, and hence not useful for reference. 

thanks,  John

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Perhaps rotate the part first and then make the sketches?

As always, a link to a document gets you the fix :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    john_P37john_P37 Member Posts: 25 PRO
    I'm not sure I understand the second option, I'll give that a try.   The third option sounds really good - But the custom feature attaches the sketch plane to the mate (it appears) regardless of the Z clocking of the mate.   If I clock the mate by, say, 30 degrees about the z axis, use the custom feature to deposit a plane, and add a sketch to that new plane, then geometry on the new sketch plane is created as if its local coordinate system was aligned to the case of the Z clocking = 0 degrees. I'd consider that slightly unexpected behavior. 
    Here was my trial: 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d02ba027632901ed5aaff6ef/w/04905dfb7cbb3d58f4afe89f/e/4d90f69d752ec97fe4f9600c
    Best regards,
    John
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    @john_P37 - I stand corrected, apologies for misleading. Seems there is no way to control the x-Axis of a plane even when trying to deconstruct it as much as possible using FeatureScript. Can you create an improvement request for plane through mate connector (including mate connector orientation) using Help > Feedback in Onshape? Thank you.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    Seems there is no way to control the x-Axis of a plane even when trying to deconstruct it as much as possible using FeatureScript. Can you create an improvement request for plane through mate connector (including mate connector orientation) using Help > Feedback in Onshape? Thank you.
    would be better to be able to directly use mate connector (as alternative to planar face) as reference in the sketch feature, so we could have sketches with user-defined axes orientation. I even had an IR for this which for some reason was mooved.

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Agreed - sketch and plane defined by mate connector!!!!! :)
    (i will see what i can do ;))

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Agreed - sketch and plane defined by mate connector!!!!! :)
    (i will see what i can do ;))

If it's of a similar ilk...

Whilst you're at it can we have the Z-axis of a mate connector valid as the input axis for a "transform rotate"?

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    I like it! :)
    Yes!
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Whilst you're at it can we have the Z-axis of a mate connector valid as the input axis for a "transform rotate"?

Steady on, young man. Do you have an IR for that?
  • Options
    @owen_sparks - just noticed you've posted more times than me, so just trying to even it up a bit.

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,176

No need for an IR for this one -- it's actually already being worked on.

Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    @owen_sparks - just noticed you've posted more times than me, so just trying to even it up a bit.

:):):):)

We still get a T-Shirt when we hit 1500, yes?

@ilya@ilya_baran I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that if an idea is any good the chances are that the people who do it for a living and who invented it in the first place just may have already thought of it.  The IR system is just to make us users us feel like we're contributing something :p

Cheers all,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    @owen_sparks
    I know you're kidding, but I'll respond seriously regardless -- please don't filter suggestions assuming someone else may have already thought of it!  That's how great ideas get lost.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Ilya beat me to it.

Yes - as of the PREVIOUS release, you can use the z axis of a mate connector as the axis for any pattern/transform.
    WIth THIS release, you can now define the xy coordinate system of a sketch by using the mate connector to define the sketch.

One Connector to rule them all!!! :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    And yes - please keep voting for IR's - that's how we know what to work on next! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    Ilya beat me to it.

Yes - as of the PREVIOUS release, you can use the z axis of a mate connector as the axis for any pattern/transform.
    WIth THIS release, you can now define the xy coordinate system of a sketch by using the mate connect to define the sketch.

One Connector to rule them all!!! :)

I'm loving the "Connector" philosophy being added to functionality and enhancing existing workflows; a lot - it just makes sense. 

Hopefully in due time... ;)
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9943/part-studio-the-ability-to-transform-move-parts-by-inferred-mate-connector#latest

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9936/sketching-make-the-centroid-inference-snapping-relations-easier-discoverable-i-e-mate-connector#latest

• Options
    @Don_Van_Zile - OOOO, i really like the 'transform by inferred mate connector' and may have thrown a vote in for myself ;)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    In my opinion these are the type of improvements that take an already great product and make it a pleasure to use. A heartfelt thanks from over here.

Ogden S. (Damn predictive text, but I like that one so I'm leaving it.)
    HWM-Water Ltd