Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Valve Only Column in the Configuration Table

brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
edited June 2018 in Using Onshape
Hi Everyone,

I have been working on a project with a mechanism that has various positions and also adjustments that can be changed to get certain outcomes. I found that I could use configurations to get a range of positions and the adjustments which was awesome but now I want to see some valves based on measurements of ratios for each position and adjustment to confirm design. I can export or transfer this out to a spreadsheet but feel it would be better to be able to just add a table or extra column to Onshape displaying measured valves. I found can use variables in configuration and also @konstantin_shiriazdanov 's Measure Value feature script but can not get the value to show in configurations which makes sense but I feel I want to see a driven value a little like setting a dim to driven in the sketcher.  

I'd love to get some feedback on if there is a way to show values atm or does there need some IR here. 

Here's my example, the first table gives mechanism adjustments, the second moves to various positions.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,176
    This is an interesting request -- I can certainly see the use case.  There are a couple of challenges here, though:
    1. If there are multiple configuration tables or variables, the measurement may depend on the entire configuration, not just one table row, so displaying an extra column in one of the configuration tables would not necessarily give the right picture
    2. Even if there's only one table, on every change, we would need to regenerate every configuration in the table, something we would generally like to avoid doing for performance reasons.  Currently, we only regenerate the configurations that you are looking at or referencing.
    That's not to say we wouldn't do it, just that it's not super-straightforward.

One possible workaround today to get a table of measurements is to add a custom feature at the end of the part studio that sets a part property based on the measurement, create an assembly of all the relevant configurations, and show that part property in the BOM.  For performance reasons, I would recommend having the assembly link to a version, so it's not trying to regen everything every time you touch the part studio (only when you update the link).

Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited June 2018
    This is an interesting request -- I can certainly see the use case.  There are a couple of challenges here, though:

Thanks, @ilya just another one of my crazy ideas,  I thought it was worth putting out there to see if others have similar requests or desires. For now combining this with the dummy assembly and building a BOM might be a good a way to get what I need.

I am also using the various configurations in the top level assy and checking each here by turning different mates on and off, as well as using the adjustable sketch in the master part studio. I probably don't need to say it but looking for to assy configuration which will make life a lot easier for a job like this.   
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,176

I probably don't need to say it but looking for to assy configuration which will make life a lot easier for a job like this.  

Yep, they're actively being worked on.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc