Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rotate model view about an edge/axis

MilkoMilko Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
In SolidWorks, while working on a model you can select the rotate command and select and edge or axis and model will rotate about that edge/axis. Is there a similar functionality in Onshape?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    EricGauthierEricGauthier Member Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    @Milko

In a Part Studio, you can use "Transform" tool. In an assembly, you can use the triad which displays when selecting the component you want to rotate. Simply move the triad origin to change the origin of the rotation.
  • Options
    MilkoMilko Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Transform did not work for me. My intent is not to modify the part, I just want to control the way a view the part. Thanks.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited June 2018
    For a peek under the cover, here are the heuristics - 

When the rotate command is initiated, a ray is projected from the cursor down into the screen.
    If that ray intersects any point on a part or surface, then that point (the intersection of ray and part) becomes the center of rotation (even though the mouse moves off it).
    If that ray does not intersect any geometry, then the center of rotation becomes the geometric center of all visible entities (including the origin).

This is a very simple heuristic that leads to a very natural interaction with the model (regardless of whether you know what its doing or not).
    I am not saying that this IR isn't needed, I am just saying that i have not missed it. :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape