Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mates - Update in context unresponsive

james_filbin146james_filbin146 Member Posts: 2 EDU
Hi,

I have 8 corners of a cuboid in an assembly, all related (planar & parallel) . The Part studio in context extrusions between the 8 corners only partially update. The extrusions are related to the corners by a mate connector extruded to the opposite face. I stopped designing after this failed.

Any help would be welcome. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7c9117fdc72250d68cce6b22/w/348ccfa37de792f203db13b2/e/8f9333614727b8df42c98a0e

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    edited July 2018
    Hi @james_filbin146

That doc is shared as a link so it is view only - in future you will need to share as public so people can see how you've constructed it.

However, you should create all your beams in one part studio (or at least the beams that are not duplicated), then assemble them all together. There is no need for in-context editing in this design. Also, you have used many planar and parallel mates when single fasten mates (with offsets) would be much better. If you have come from using SolidWorks, may I suggest you sign up for this webinar?

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9686/upcoming-webinar-onshape-assemblies-for-solidworks-users
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    james_filbin146james_filbin146 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for the advice Neil, all signed up.

I was looking for maximum flexibility with the dimensioning of the cuboid, would designing in this way allow for the beams to be variable with the positioning? 

Thanks again.