Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I add a point to a drawing?

chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
I am trying to add a point to a drawing to indicate a Datum for CNC milling (Similar to a virtual sharp). I can add lines, centrelines, circle centrelines, but not an individual point.

What I am trying to do is indicate accurately on the drawing the precise location of the XY Datum (as crudely shown in my drawing below).  What I have done in SW is to extend lines (horizontal and vertical) until they intersect, than trim (if necessary) the lines back to a pseudo virtual sharp.

Document link here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d0068ecf012879ac6c71c310/w/3a6118e9c448d24e9cb089ba/e/8097d798b3671eb306cc1d7a

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    You can now show sketches in drawing views - right click your view and select show/hide sketches (you need a sketch with a point in your part studio obviously).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Neil,  Understood.  I created an XY Datum Point Sketch in the part studio. 

However when I try to insert the XY Datum Sketch into my drawing, I get a message "Failed to resolve sketch".

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited July 2018
    @chrisjh777 that sounds like a bug. You can sketch a small circle or crosshairs and it will work.

EDIT: points are not supported in drawing views because everything in a drawing must have a defined scale (a point is "infinitely small" so there is no way to determine how big the point should be displayed). Use a small circle.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    @NeilCooke Thanks. Now makes sense.  I changed the XY Datum Sketch to include a small (0.5mm) circle concentric with my point.

I now have an accurately defined "Point" :)