Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

normal to plane / surface

jon_loschkejon_loschke Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
I so often find myself needing the normal to a plane, I'm surprised it's not a built in feature.  Other CAD has this.  If I'm blind, please point it out!  

Before I go off and write a featureScript to do this, I want to see if there is a better way to do things.  Here is an example:

I need to square up a part to a plane (for some reason a context update caused it to drift from the reference).  This is for export, not assembly.
My simple thought is create two normals, one from part plane, one from reference.  Then I know angle (between normals) for rotation.  But I need axis for rotation, so I need a construct plane from the two normal vectors and then get the normal to that plane for the axis.  I did this and it worked perfectly.  Except I needed 5 sketches and 3 planes.  I needed 3 normals in that solution.  Is there a better solution?

Even if that can be done simpler, I still often need normals.  Am I out of the norm here?  (pun intended)

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Transform with mate connector?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Heck yeah, takes care of rotation as well as translation and no calcs needed :+1:

OwS
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • jon_loschkejon_loschke Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    Transform with mate connector?
    Yes, thanks, that does work for the example I gave.  But I still often find myself doing constructions where it would be so much easier with a normal.  Imagine in my example that I needed that final line, not for a transform axis but some further piece of construction.  Can I create a mate and then use the Z axis as a reference line?
  • jon_loschkejon_loschke Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    So I'm not crazy.  Even you released a new feature that solves some of the exact cases (but not all) where I would have used a plane normal (if there were such a thing):  

MATE CONNECTOR AS AXIS