Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Moving the location of parts in the part studio?

chantelle_kochantelle_ko Member Posts: 3 EDU
I found a public document of a box, saved a copy, and changed the dimensions. In the original the lid is sitting beside the box when I edit it. But since I am making the dimensions bigger, it causes the lid and box to overlap in the workspace. Is there a way to spread them out more? 

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,376
    I wouldn’t start transforming parts just so you can see them. If it is absolutely necessary I would look to edit the sketches that make the box and the lid to space them out more. Having overlapping parts is really not a problem since they should be assembled in an assembly anyway. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    jackson_kingjackson_king OS Professional Posts: 80 PRO
    If possible you could use the face of the box sides directly under the lid as the lid sketch plane or add an offset plane to keep some space between parts. Then the lid should move with the other part/s. @NeilCooke is definitely correct that an assembly should be done especially if you want to add a hinge into things. And while it doesn’t matter if parts overlap in a part studio, I get the OCD aspect of having things look correct;)