Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Barrier to seriously trial onshape with free account

TimTTimT Member Posts: 4
edited August 2018 in Account and subscriptions
Onshape Free use to include 100mb of private space for your models and drawings.
Now everything is 'Public'.
This is a huge barrier for us wishing to proceed with trialing out Onshape to its fullest as we can not upload or create any of our models in the Onshape environment due to protecting our IP.
I think it would be beneficial if there was an option to save either:
A number of documents privately (ie upto 10)
Reinstate the private space but maybe reduce its size, if this was the issue

For a SME wanting to seriously look at Onshape as a replacement to Solidworks and with 1 CAD user (Myself), we can't afford to trial Onshape all in one go as we can't give it the time it requires in such a short sitting.
It would be more of a long term process over several months due to time restraints here so the ability to store a few of our models/drawings privately and protect our IP would be required.

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited August 2018
    Hi.

I can't speak for Onshape as I'm just a customer but I imagine that as you're a genuine business user looking to evaluate OS for future paid company use there are trial periods including private docs to be had...

Regards,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • TimTTimT Member Posts: 4
    Hi.

I can't speak for Onshape as I'm just a customer but I imagine that as you're a genuine business user looking to evaluate OS for future paid company use there are trial periods including private docs to be had...

Regards,

Owen S.
    Hi,
    Yes we are aware there are trial periods, however as said as a SME we wouldn't be able to evaluate OS effectively in the time allotted for any trial as we have a business to run and wouldn't be able to focus 100% of our time on evaluation, hence why an open ended trail would suit us, and this is what the old free account allowed us to do as we would be able to upload/create some of our IP safely on OS when we have time to do so, if this makes sense?
  • PauloPaulo Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    I too would like private files for free - when did this change? How long did you trial solidwrks, maybe I should try them?
    edited August 2018
    My apologies, I rushed through your post without reading it properly.

I understand your position.  I was fortunate enough to evaluate OS when there were private docs on free accounts.  Had that have been restricted to 2 weeks I wouldn't be here now, 2 years into contract and with no intention to move, only to add additional seats as budgets allow...

That said I have found Onshape have the best customer service bar none so I'd encourage you to see what can be done.  This isn't like forums of other companies, the staff at OnS keep on top of all we say here, so as soon as Americaland is awake I image there will be folks delighted to discuss working with you.

Actually I see @NeilCooke 's avatar online (Onshape chap, good bloke). 

Can you help Neil?

Cheers,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @tim_tranter - I understand how difficult it is to find the time to evaluate new software. If you speak to your account rep I am sure something can be arranged to help you try out Onshape at work. What sort of products do you make? Perhaps the forum can offer some feedback on their experiences in your industry.

@Paulo - the free private docs ceased in November 2016. 

@owen_sparks (Welsh chap, good bloke :) ) - thanks for the mention

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • TimTTimT Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2018
    Thanks all.
    @NeilCooke - Thank you.
    We develop sheetmetal fabricated products for hospital and data room environments. 
    Speaking to our Rep may resolve this for us, but I've taken the time to bring this discussion up here, others may have not. So with that in mind maybe worth just re-investigating the idea of offering a small amount of private space or a few private documents on the free account to encourage more firms like ours to try OS safe in the knowledge that any IP they are working with to trial remains private.

@owen_sparks - a fellow Welsh man! I'm living over the border and working in Herefordshire, thanks for tagging Neil and moving this along :smile:
  • larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    I ran into this same problem when I first started using Onshape and had no real choice but to jump in after thinking I would like Onshape which I did, but I could not/would not test it with my proprietary files.

I have always thought that the pricing structure could be modified for the single user that doesn't run a larger enterprise nor need multiple seats. I can only relate my own experience but I really only need 1 or 2 private documents (literally) but I would never ask Onshape to offer that for free.

It seems that a private document tier system might help those who really don't need the expense of the entire pro suite. Something like up to 5 private docs for $XXX.00 per month/year. Up to 10 private docs for $XXX.00 per month/year, then unlimited for the current pricing.

I realize this complicates the pricing structure and doesn't address the OP's concern about trialing OS with proprietary files but could encourage smaller users to get in to the Onshape groove and not break the bank. It would also introduce those new users who could upgrade to more inclusive plans as their needs grow.
    I think the difficulty with private docs is a doc is really just folder. 

You can put as may PartStudios, Assemblies, uploads etc as you like in them. 

In theory I could put my entire last 2 years company work in one document.  I'd probably get shouted at by PhilipT for doing so...

So whether you limit a mid tier account to 1, 5 or 10 private docs then there would be many who would buy that rather than the current pro policy.

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the factor which could slow down overall progress around custom functuonality development within OS invironment - say if me as a free user had a request for making some FS for a paid user for money, would this job be even legal? :*
    edited August 2018
    I think the difficulty with private docs is a doc is really just folder. 

You can put as may PartStudios, Assemblies, uploads etc as you like in them. 

In theory I could put my entire last 2 years company work in one document.  I'd probably get shouted at by PhilipT for doing so...

So whether you limit a mid tier account to 1, 5 or 10 private docs then there would be many who would buy that rather than the current pro policy.

Owen S.
    I agree. If you were in a company environment, yes, you could, in theory, put all your 'entire last 2 years of company work' in one document but would you? Really? If you had a thriving company that needed all the collaborative features that OS offers you, would you try and skimp on the usefulness of the software by trying to use a single document - for all your parts and assemblies? Maybe in theory you could but who would really do that? 

And if those one or two foolish users managed to run their company using one document with all of their parts and assemblies what harm would really come of that? Meaning that I think there would literally only be a couple of fools who would undertake such a silly damaging process.

I'm a user that only needs a couple private docs. Am I the only one? Perhaps, and perhaps users like myself just need to pay to play (as I have done) and there's no need to change the pricing structure but there might be some options out there to accommodate more varied users.
    edited August 2018

I agree wholeheartedly that there should be a mid / entry lever tier, for startups / second part time income professional users. :)

I just think that as revisioning of parts / tabs and other performance enhancements come into play then the concept of "documents" will become far less prevalent.  Chances are well be running advanced searches to find things rather than scrolling through "file lists" so whether things live together in one doc or spread across multiple docs won't matter.  We wont notice.

As such, working on my assumption of docs pretty much going away over time, then basing a pricing tier on a number of "private docs" wouldn't be my first choice.  I'm not sure what the answer would be.  File size / feature qty / site visit quota?  All sound like things a user wouldn't want to be concerned about rationing. 

Anyway I hope OnS find a way to attract the free users, the pros and anyone in-between whilst still generating the revenue required to grow the team and make an honest buck whilst at it. :+1:

Cheers,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭

I agree wholeheartedly that there should be a mid / entry lever tier, for startups / second part time income professional users. :)

There have been many users (myself included) who have requested a paid mid-level or low level tier for serious hobbyists or part-time professionals, but Onshape made it clear quite a while ago that they had no interest in accommodating that group of users.  Their perspective is understandable, but still disappointing to those of us that fall in that class of users.  

There have been many users (myself included) who have requested a paid mid-level or low level tier for serious hobbyists or part-time professionals, but Onshape made it clear quite a while ago that they had no interest in accommodating that group of users.  Their perspective is understandable, but still disappointing to those of us that fall in that class of users.  
    Running a business such as Onshape, as you most likely understand, has to take in to account a lot of factors and market size, demographics, return on investment all play a hand in the decision process. Is the market that (apparently) you and I occupy large enough to accommodate with special pricing? Or is it even large enough to matter at all in the grand scheme of a pricing strategy?

I assume most companies would ignore the smaller users as the ROI just isn't there but if any company might I would think that OS might be that company. Why? Because they are so very customer oriented that accommodating all users could be a good business move but that decision is not a simple one and I for one would not blame OS if they just ignored the smaller user who wants a price break because why shouldn't they? There's less money in it and will those customers go elsewhere? Dunno, but good discussion...