Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Auto-Populate all Unique Configuration Permutations for Configured Part Properties

Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
edited August 2018 in Product Feedback

As Configurations of Parts (and hopefully Assemblies soon) becomes a common work flow so will the need for Custom Configuration Properties. Please make our design lives easier and less error prone by allowing an Auto-Populate function for Unique Configuration Permutations as show below from the tutorial. This of course would need to be dynamic and/or be able to be updated if the configuration definition changes.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Don_Van_Zile I can see at some point to build all the possible columns that might be configurable but every unique permutation is just not possible.  That can get out of scale pretty quickly.  This is the reason we also have more than just list configurations and can build a number of things to avoid large configuration tables.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    lougallo said:
    @Don_Van_Zile I can see at some point to build all the possible columns that might be configurable but every unique permutation is just not possible.  That can get out of scale pretty quickly.  This is the reason we also have more than just list configurations and can build a number of things to avoid large configuration tables.
    Agreed, configurations can scale very quickly. That being said, could we get an "assist" to build a table? This would be needed to enter Configurations Specific Properties, specifically only at some point.  ;) Anything would help as the example shown above is simplistic to be sure. This manually is greatly error-prone.
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    For example a cube we build a configuration table of.. Are you saying I could ask it to then build the columns of length, width, height and then I would need to build the rows I want the values I want?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    lougallo said:
    For example a cube we build a configuration table of.. Are you saying I could ask it to then build the columns of length, width, height and then I would need to build the rows I want the values I want?
    No, that' not what I'm referring to. If you take a look at entering Configuration Specific Properties from the Advanced Configurations in the Learning Path you'll better understand what I'm referring to with this request. I know this is what we'll be doing a lot of eventually doing this example and "manually" will just be terrible workflow. See the Auto-Create from SW.

If we can at least populate a table even if it has hundreds or thousands of rows of configurations, I can use the Excel style drag or other functions to auto-fill logic:

Part Number-001
    Part Number-002
    Part-Number-003
    etc...

https://learn.onshape.com/learn/course/advanced-part-configurations/configurations-and-branching/collaboration-and-configurations