Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why does final Sliding Mate cause assembly to be overdefined?

roland_hauffroland_hauff Member Posts: 6

Best Answers

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,567 PRO
    Answer ✓
    You have too many constraints stopping things from sliding "out of plane". Get rid of the limits on your cylindrical mates, and switch the first two to "revolue":

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d27b8fdab628a00a7061b409/w/a6edc118892b03fe0a3c9de4/e/795f4a595e47c8399152a09f

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Ok, I think I get it.  The main point is ONLY 1 rotary mate should limit motion in the Z direction.  I tried making the first Revolute, and the last two Cylindrical with no limit in Z direction, and that works as well.
    Thanks #eric_pesty!
    Yes you got it, the key is to avoid having multiple mates constraining the same things. You can "sometimes" get away with it when the result is the same (i.e. two things constraining in Z at exactly the same "depth" but it often causes issues as there is always some tolerance in computer math so best to avoid it.

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    You have too many constraints stopping things from sliding "out of plane". Get rid of the limits on your cylindrical mates, and switch the first two to "revolue":

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d27b8fdab628a00a7061b409/w/a6edc118892b03fe0a3c9de4/e/795f4a595e47c8399152a09f

• Options
    Well, that is very interesting.  I started out with the first 3 being Revolute with no limits.  Then tried adding limits as forum posts seem to imply that too MUCH freedom can cause problems.  Then switched all 3 to Cylindrical and at least got motion.

How did you choose to make just the first 2 Revolute and leave the third cylindrical?
  • Options
    Ok, I think I get it.  The main point is ONLY 1 rotary mate should limit motion in the Z direction.  I tried making the first Revolute, and the last two Cylindrical with no limit in Z direction, and that works as well.
    Thanks #eric_pesty!
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Thanks #eric_pesty!
    Yes you got it, the key is to avoid having multiple mates constraining the same things. You can "sometimes" get away with it when the result is the same (i.e. two things constraining in Z at exactly the same "depth" but it often causes issues as there is always some tolerance in computer math so best to avoid it.