Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why is this non-manifold? (No it isn't.) What's the quickest workaround?

larry_sanders236larry_sanders236 Member Posts: 4
See this part studio.

I want to build parts from arrays of cubes.

The larger light-blue block is Part C and the two smaller cubes are A and B. A and B are not manifold to each other, but each can be manifold to C. I don't understand why a union of all three would not be manifold. If A and B are both manifold to C, the intersection between A and B should be of no consequence. What do I not understand about the meaning of "manifold"?

I see from my limited investigation many people have banged their head on similar non-manifold extrusions and unions, and that their existence is not tolerated by OnShape's kernel, and that from a machining perspective they are not realistic so why would I want to. I just do. But I'm not hopeful of this ever being supported in Onshape. So looking for workarounds.

Solutions I've tried or considered:

-Don't worry about it. Export multiple parts as one .step object and let my 3D printer think it's just one. Probably best and easiest solution, but my OCD sure doesn't like it.

-Put a tiny fillet or chamfer in the sketch I'm extruding, at the corners of the shapes sharing non-manifold edge, to either join or separate those shapes. This became a very detail-oriented task, ironically on a design that I want to lack detail. If the design consists of tens or hundreds of staggered cubes, this workaround could get labor intensive.

-Thicken: I don't like the idea of giving up the consistent precision between several blocks.

-(Just occurred to me) Use a linear array: Build a stack of cubes that have some fractional overlap, subtract the unwanted cubes, union the remainder. Oversize the source cube by some finite but invisible amount greater than the array grid spacing, so they all interfere with adjacent cubes. I like it!

OK thanks. Talking through this has really helped. Appreciate all your insights! 

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,420
    Hi - this has been covered ad nauseum on the forum - an edge can only have two faces, in solid modelling and in real life. Use move face to offset a fraction, then boolean.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 281
    The term "manifold" as used in 3D printing is colloquial. What Neil said is closer to the formal definition.
  • Options
    Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 95 PRO
    Based off of any resource I have seen explaining non-manifold bodies, this is in fact non-manifold. Tips for a successful manifold 3D model – Help Center (shapeways.com) or How to fix non-manifold geometry issues on 3D models (sculpteo.com).
  • Options
    larry_sanders236larry_sanders236 Member Posts: 4
    Looked into this a bit more. I assumed any finite amount of overlap would suffice, but it turns out that .01mm is still non-manifold. I set a cube size variable to 10.01, and pattern spacing to 10 so there would be .01 overlap between any 2 cubes in a grid pattern. Still non-manifold.

Zoomed in to see the overlap.

At .011 OnShape accepted the overlap's existence.