Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Question on Thread Creator

I created Nut and bolt both with diamter 8 mm. Then I added ISO-Thread, tried both 1 and 1.25 mm pitch. After exporting to stl and printing, there is no way that both fit. Should the diamter for inner and outer thread be different?

Comments

• Options
    klaus_krämerklaus_krämer Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited March 11
    In my experience it's necessary to use different diameters. Screw threads (external threads) are cut into the cylinder and fit quite well using the intended thread diameter (e.g. 5mm for ISO M5).

Nut threads or internal threads are added to the cylinder surface. It's not logical because the should also be cut out of the borehole.

Currently I use 5 mm for screws and a borehole of 5.4 mm for nuts. Printed with these dimensions, they are fully compatible with ISO M5 threads on metal screws and nuts. Probably varying dependant on your 3D printer and nozzle size. Simply test it.