Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

John Steven Bowers

john_bowers023john_bowers023 Member Posts: 2
Fairly new to Onshape.  I am printing on a Creality K1 Max printer with a couple projects successfully completed.

I need to design a shift boot, which will seal a airplane nose wheel steering rod where it goes through the firewall.  The rod is a 10 mm diameter rod, and passes through a 14 mm X 60 mm vertical slot (because of the nose wheel up and down movement during takeoff and landing. I will use TPU filament because of its pliability.

What is an easy method to produce the flexing sides of the part??

Best Answer

• Options
    Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 223 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Draw a squigly line.
    Sweep it around an elipse or oval or something to make a surface.
    Thicken.

Answers

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Shape? Round, square, other? - Scotty
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Draw a squigly line.
    Sweep it around an elipse or oval or something to make a surface.
    Thicken.

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,390 PRO
    In my experience, flexible 3D printed parts are really only durable enough for a short term proof of concept prototype. If this part is life-critical, I would question using 3D printing.
  • Options
    Agree with Simon.  That said, if you've got the budget, this stuff is amazing:
    https://www.stratasys.com/en/materials/materials-catalog/fdm-materials/tpu-92a/
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that Formlab just released a silicone resin for their brand of 3D printers and that may work better than TPU.