Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

SHEET METAL - 180 degree bend/hem issue

Kai_SchusterKai_Schuster Member Posts: 4
I have a ribbon that I'd like to bend 180 degrees a couple of times starting from a flat pattern. The bend tool would be the easiest to use because it preserves the profile of the ribbon. Alas, I've resorted to hacking together something using the hem tool and mirroring the flat pattern sketch to retain the profile. 

All is working well until I get to this final fold - I'm left with this ugly corner and I just can't wrap my head around how to fix it so that it makes sense. 

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,387 PRO
    I haven't tested this out, but I would hope that adding a fillet to the flat pattern would avoid that lovely glitch on the folded version.
  • Options
    David_YL_NguyenDavid_YL_Nguyen Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 90
    Hey @Kai_Schuster,
    Could you share a (public) document so we can have a look? Sheetmetal design can require some creative approaches sometimes...
    I have managed to fix such corners with move face in the past. Cheers

• Options
    Kai_SchusterKai_Schuster Member Posts: 4
    I only want to share this part studio. If I share it, will any of the other information in my project become public?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    I only want to share this part studio. If I share it, will any of the other information in my project become public?
    Yes it will - you can right-click the tab > copy to clipboard, then create a new doc and go to the + menu, bottom left, and paste tab, then share that doc.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,387 PRO
    I played around with a model like this, and when I use a sketched bend, some bend alignments just don't work. I tried with and without a fillet at the transition from straight to angled (added either to the flat sketch, or as a fillet feature after extruding a solid but before converting to sheetmetal). I never got a weird issue like the one you show. Perhaps this flat pattern was imported and includes some microscopic jog? Or perhaps the alignment of the bend line to the jog in the outline is twitchy? It seems like you're getting a weird attempt at a bend relief which has gone wrong.