Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Lost substantial amount of work

robert_bordonarorobert_bordonaro Member Posts: 5
Had been adding to an existing sketch for a 2 hrs. Closed the sketch and reverted back to state prior to two hours of work.

Best Answer

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,413
    Answer ✓
    Hitting the checkmark is the right thing to do. The only way it would lose work is if you pressed the X. It’s very rare that work would be lost for any other reason. The best thing to do is to keep sketches simple and commit them from time to time. And that must be an impressive kitchen remodel 😀
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,383 PRO
    What sketch takes 2 hours? That sounds way too complicated.
  • Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 279
    +1 for Simon - best practice is to keep sketches simple and to prefer doing operations on parts rather than sketch entities. Try to avoid sketch patterns.

If you cancel a sketch, we offer a very temporary blue bubble that lets you restore it.
  • Options
    First, never edit a skecth for 2 hours. Sounds like you were adding too much detail to one sketch, also a no-no. Did you close using the X?
  • Options
    I working on 2D floor plans. 2hrs is nothing compared to what’s left to do. 
  • Options
    I working on 2D floor plans. 2hrs is nothing compared to what’s left to do. 
    For this, you really need a 2D CAD like AutoCAD.
  • Options
    Appreciate the comments.  might have hit the check mark. First time using onshape. Recently retired CAD designer with 45 years experience with Soildworks and Autodesk Inventor. Don’t need a lecture, I now how to use CAD, doing a little kitchen remodel. Not a crisis to do it as one sketch. Just a simple question as to how to properly close it so it saves work. 
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Hitting the checkmark is the right thing to do. The only way it would lose work is if you pressed the X. It’s very rare that work would be lost for any other reason. The best thing to do is to keep sketches simple and commit them from time to time. And that must be an impressive kitchen remodel 😀
  • Options
    Mr_SnrubMr_Snrub Member Posts: 3 PRO
    send your address, I have a whole box of german 2h pencils I can give you