Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a way to create a customize mate?

javl0p_2javl0p_2 Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
In OnShape, mates are defined so that they resemble mechanical connections. However, they are limited to specific kinematic combinations (for each mate, certain DOFs are restricted).

I'm trying to use OnShape to model a specific kinematic behaviour that does not correspond to any of the existing mates. (eg. Rx, Ry, Rz, Z are free | X, Y are restricted)

Is there a way to define something like a customized mate for which you can specify which degrees of freedom are restricted and which ones are free?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,530 PRO
    Short answer is no, but you can often achieve this using limits...
    Or using an intermediate "dummy part"  and two separate mates: for example a sketch surface as a slider and a ball mate to that surface would provide what you are looking for (I think?)

• Options
    Thanks Eric! That's what I was afraid of, there is a need for intermediate parts (or sketches as you mentioned) to create that custom mate. 

What I did was exactly that, I created three different parts, each one of them with an associated mate connector. Then I used a slider mate fom the first to the second MC, and a ball mate from the second to the third MC. Is there a way to simplify this process?
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,530 PRO
    That's pretty much it...
    You could use the "fake mate connector" FS to create your "dummy" intermediate part a little bit faster: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c17cc15051561f01e2fc6d0d/v/13b76dd8f102481f2f21857a/e/81e13b859e7facbfb47d1355
  • Options
    Ok. thanks for the answer. I might create an IR for universal custom MC
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    I second that. For example, there should be a rotate mate that only rotates one way, or a custom mate that can generally restrict movement in one direction! Where can I find your IR so I can vote for it?
  • Options
    I'll link it here once I create it! 
  • Options