Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extrude Sides

price_cobbprice_cobb Member Posts: 28
Folks, I'm at wits end here.  File is shared and link is below.

For a specific need, I'm making a NACA duct shape (will not be used as a proper NACA duct) but as well to get some practice making things like this.  Guessing some lofting might be another way to go but simply extruding some bits away (removing) sure seems quick and dirty all of which suit my simplistic needs for this part. 

However, in this picture notice, the two darker area's above and below the actual NACA shape seen in the middle.  Why oh why can I not extrude those two darker areas? As in Remove Extrude. 

Stinks to be lost but this is one of those times. I look forward to seeing/reading what I'm missing. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bfcb74f868536d4e49b0c952/w/954bd8c1b4d11b3ee9fdb563/e/4237b5e139e966764e8a8771?renderMode=0&uiState=6632e21572a0764aa07acb90

Many thanks everyone.

Best Answer

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,437
    Answer ✓
    It's because Sketch 1 is before Extrude 12, so you can either a) reorder the sketch after and fix any broken references, or b) create another sketch on the face of the extrude and "Use" the edges from Sketch 1.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,437
    Answer ✓
    It's because Sketch 1 is before Extrude 12, so you can either a) reorder the sketch after and fix any broken references, or b) create another sketch on the face of the extrude and "Use" the edges from Sketch 1.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    john_lopez363john_lopez363 Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited May 2
    @price_cobb
    ...assuming this is the shape you are after.  If so here is another approach.

1) Make your first Extrude off of Sketch1, in the up direction to the distance you need (right side pic).
    2) Make your second Extrude off of Sketch11, using the "Intersect" Boolean operator and a Second end position condition (bottom pic).

• Options
    price_cobbprice_cobb Member Posts: 28
    Fantastic. All I need to do is learn about orders....Of course if I had a brain I would have exhausted all (orders etc) but didn't. You all are simply the best and I cannot thank you all enough. Stay well, PC