Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I think rigid is the way to go...

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,022 PRO
Except for this little bug:

rigid assembly:

BOM is wrong

non-rigid assembly:

I think rigid is the missing link between part studios and assemblies and have been using them a lot. It'd be nice if the BOM in an assembly worked properly. 

Hopefully I'm missing something and there's a button I need to click.

Comments

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    edited May 10
    Check out Simplify FS. It has a pdf sheet with instructions which will produce a rigid part that can be used as one BOM item.
    Previous forum discussion. https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/102051#Comment_102051
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3f84343841cb6d7fead072c8/w/e8588a72f5052afeb63e853d/e/e6b43bb1112db2e0f9f965b0

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,022 PRO
    Thanks for the link to simplify. It's a great script for cleaning up data. I'd use it when importing a vendors assembly and only want to track 1 thing. 

I'm trying to create a product and at the same time generate an accurate BOM. Currently when I have a vendor's assembly, I create a composite part which generates 1 line item on a BOM. I do use face colors and make the part look real. It looks like simplify.fs can do this better than composite parts.

What I'm after, I should have been more clear, it a design pattern that uses part studios, configurations and assemblies. At the end of the day I need a top level assembly with an accurate BOM.

So the above pipe is a weldment consisting of 2 end pieces and a straight piece of differing lengths. When I use this weldment in an assembly, I'd like the assembly to show 2 ends and a straight with a length. Currently all parts roll up to the top.

If you import a part studio into an assembly, then the ends are 2 individual parts which doesn't work. If you import 1 end and the straight into an assembly and them replicate the end piece, then you have a correct BOM. All part replication needs to been done in an assembly.

Now, if you link the assembly config to part config you can create pipes of differing lengths but the properties are messed up. This can be fixed I believe, but I'm not confident that it works. Possibly generating an assembly number for each configuration.

Ultimately, since you must use an assembly to replicate, every part studio will be associated with an assembly for all production. To help keep an assembly in sync with the part studio, the new rigid mode works great. Add configurations to this design pattern and trying to keep BOM's accurate is, to me, confusing, if not impossible.

I'm still trying, 

• Options
    jnewth_onshapejnewth_onshape Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 66
    Hi @billy2
    Please file a bug with Support and share the document. The screenshots show there is at least something unexpected happening, but support would like to take a closer look to assess the issue. 

• Options
    ok, so I've gotten further:

Here's the part studio:

-I delete everything in the configured properties tabs
    -I'm driving the length with a configuration
    -I've mirrored the fitting so the system computes the straight pipe length
    -I'll eventually have the pipe length appear in the BOM using a fs.

In an assembly:

-I link the configurations up
    -I bring in a rigid part studio and suppress the fitting copy
    -I replicate inside the assembly
    -As long as the config value is equal to the default value, the BOM works

In the assembly

-change the configuration length from default
    -the BOM is not correct

This is a design pattern I'm using for everything these days. I'm always importing a rigid part studio and suppressing things I don't want to use. Somethings will require configurations and the BOMs should always work.

I can count that there are 2 of the same thing. But Onshape should know there are 2 instances of the same thing.

What am I'm doing wrong?