Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why are my drawings not in the correct units of measurement

simon_holmessimon_holmes Member Posts: 2
My CAD appears to be in millimetres which is as specified in my preferences but when I create drawings they are created in inches. I have tried checking the preferences again and these appear OK - any ideas anyone? 

Screen shot below shows the settings but the measurement beneath is supposed to be 122.13mm whilst it's appearing as 4.808 inches ????

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    @simon_holmes , I think you used Ansi template in place of ISO template in drawing as suggested by peter hall. Try ISO template if same thing appear then tell us. We definitely try to help you.
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    @ simon_holmes, Unit of drawing decided by it's template.unit dialog box what you shown it is for part studio and assembly. As  peter_hall said try with ISO template.

• Options
    simon_holmessimon_holmes Member Posts: 2
    Many thanks guys - the box only offered one template but I have since found offers and ISO was what I wanted
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    @  simon_holmes, Make sure that you are selected "Onshape".By default it will be in "Recently opened".

• Options
    steven_carlsonsteven_carlson Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, that sucks that you can't change individual dimension units. 

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that sucks that you can't change individual dimension units. 

The whole Onshape package is in public beta, but that is particularly so for drawings, which are in very early beta indeed.

Consequently (and I personally feel, unfortunately) hundreds of indispensable capabilities are missing.

Nevertheless, it is what it is, and you might find you get more traction (from the folks fleshing out what is effectively a proposal for a drawing package) by saying

"It would be great" to have some capability

rather than "It sucks" that it has not -- yet -- been included.

• Options
    magnus_hammarmagnus_hammar Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    It would indeed be great to be able to change the units within a drawing. We are working in a field where people for some reason talk about the concrete foundations overall dimensions in centimeters but are using millimeters for section views. It would be great but but not a priority for us.
  • Options
    varocketryvarocketry Member Posts: 6
    how do I find that template function?
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    @varocketry check out this documentation page for using templates: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/drawings-create.htm
    And this one for authoring templates: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/templates-custom.htm
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev