Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Feature Request - Offset from face

daniel_poulterdaniel_poulter Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
In the options for extrusion would be brilliant if i had the option of "offset from face".

This would make it much better when i change the geometry of parts that they would all stay inline with others!

Comments

• Options
    scott_harrisscott_harris Moderator, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66

Until we add "face offset" to extrusion, in many cases you can easily achieve the same results by creating the offset "construction" geometry using the Thicken feature on the desired faces (select New), extruding to that geometry, then deleting or hiding the intermediate geometry.

/Scott

Scott Harris / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @daniel_poulter Have you tried using the second end position option?

Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    It would be good to have the ability to create a surface offset from a face.

I would like to see this ahead of the specific functionality requested in the OP, because it would make it very easy to create desired outcome (and would arguably be easier to follow or decode at a later date).
    More importantly, it is a much more fundamental capability, which would open the door to a whole bunch of important surface-based workflows.

It would be nice if (unlike Solidworks) a different name were applied to the feature when used with a zero offset distance. In this situation, Solidworks changes the name in the dialog box, but not the feature, from "Offset Surface" to "Copy Surface"

A lot of users may not realise it IS currently possible in Onshape to offset a surface (using "Move Face") but unlike other packages, the starting surface is not retained.
    When the same operation is performed on the face of a solid, that face is offset and reconnected with the solid; once again, the original face can no longer be accessed.

ON EDIT
    It is possible to first copy the surface, using "Transform/Copy in Place", in order to leave a copy behind after the offset. However I'm not aware of a workaround to create a surface from a face.