Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Visible mate connectors in assembly

Hi All

Today my mate connectors on sub-assemblies started appearing.

Is there a setting I triggered by accident, and how do I turn it off please?

Regards

Trenton 

Answers

• shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    trenton_carr,no setting for it in onshape,there maybe two reasons here, one is that  you did not hide these mate connectors before inserting this sub-assembly into main assembly,so they will also appear in the main assembly;another one is you click "show all "in the main assembly , so they will also appear.
  • trenton_carrtrenton_carr Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2015
    Hi shanshan

No that was not it but I when back to the sub-assembly tab and noticed that the mates over-defined the assembly.

I think that is the reason that they show and will now try to fix that.

Yes you are right, that was it.

Thanks for the pointer.

• andy_morrisandy_morris Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 87
    How would you like hiding and showing mate connectors to work? I'd appreciate your opinions so we can make this a better experience.

Planes, for example, can be toggled on or off using the 'p' shortcut key; Is a shortcut key for mate connector visibility useful?

Onshape also has the ability to 'hide other mate connectors' which hides all but the selected connector. Is this useful to you?
    Would you rather be able to 'hide all mate connectors' directly from the context menu?

Your opinions are appreciated.
    Andy Morris / Head of Product Design / Onshape, Inc.
    Hi Andy

'Hide other mate connectors' is fine I think another context probably not necessary.

Hi Andy

I had another think about it.

I show all. All mates and mate connectors show.

To get back to all mates and connectors hidden, I have to RMB context on a mate + hide other and RMB context on a  mate connector + hide other.

Now I still have to hide the lone mate and mate connector.

Also there is no RMB context menu on "Mate Features" in the tree where this could be of use.

Kind Regards

Trenton
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @andy_morris I would prefer Hide all connectors with hotkey (similar usage as constraints in sketch mode), I don't see the benefit of Hide other with MC. With parts hide other is awesome.

Show all should have some submenu for narrowing down of what will be shown (show all parts, show all mate connectors, etc).
    //rami
  • johannes_grossjohannes_gross Member Posts: 3
    @andy_morris I just came across this thread because somehow i triggered all subsystem mates to show in my toplevel assembly. Now i can't see anything but mates. And they don't disappear when clicking on one of the mate features of the toplevel RMB to select Hide all other mates... or similar. 
    Instinctively I looked for a view menu like in NX where i can select the entities shown. 
    Still not sure how to hide them again, because view options from other documents shouldn't propagate to the top level i assume. 
    So my feature request would be a global "Hide all mates" on the top level assembly... I showed them by clicking on the blank canvas, so i should have the hide option in the same spot where i made it appear... 
  • SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    edited August 2022
    [Shift] + P

If you click on the Help menu, you can get to a list of all the keyboard shortcuts.
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Also K and J keys will toggle visibility of all MCs and Mates