Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - September 20th, 2024

Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 36
edited September 20 in New in Onshape

We're more than halfway done with the month of September, and due for another Onshape release. Let's take a look at some new features.

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

DERIVED PRESERVES ACTIVE SHEET METAL MODELS

The Derived tool includes a new option to Preserve active sheet metal models. Selecting this option maintains the bend table and flat pattern for the derived component, so you may continue to edit the component as a native sheet metal part.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/siqy28y1kv

INDICATION OF UNDER-CONSTRAINED SKETCHES

Any under-constrained sketches in your Part Studios are now indicated in the feature list with an icon and a tooltip.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/wedfkgs5ls

REPAIR MANAGER - SUPPORT FOR CONFIGURATION CHANGES

The Repair manager now maintains consistency between the Part Studio and the Repair manager panel, even when changing configurations.

Repair Manager Configurationsgif

NAMED POSITIONS - MATE FEATURE CROSS-HIGHLIGHT

When working with a Named position table, hovering over a mate now cross-highlights the mate feature in the Features list and shows the mate on the model in the graphics area.

Named Positions Mate Cross Highlightgif

USER-DEFINED OVERRIDE FIT CLASS TOLERANCE (DRAWINGS)

You may now fully customize and manually override a Fit class tolerance dimension on a drawing. From the Tolerance display, select the Override precision/tolerance checkbox, and then select User defined.

Override Fit Class Tolerancepng

DRAWING STYLE PANEL - SKETCHED OBJECTS

The Drawing Style panel now supports sketched objects, such as lines, circles, rectangles, and splines.

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

STRUCTURE VIEW

A new Structure view option is now available from the Documents page.
Structure view shows the latest released components, with all contained references indented below. The top-level node shown in Structure view will always reside in the selected folder you have navigated to, but the references below are shown exactly as they are in the structure of the design, even if they reside in separate documents and in other folders. Structure view is a new way to quickly understand a full reference tree, properties, and revision history for your complete product.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/j10e5r2594

Note: Structure view is available today for companies using Onshape Enterprise. However, we expect to add it for companies using Professional licenses in a future release.

ANALYTICS - FILTER BY DOCUMENT IN RELEASE AUDIT

The Release Audit report now includes a filter for Document, allowing you to quickly look at all releases contained in just one or more documents of your choosing.

Documents Filter Release Audit AMpng

ANALYTICS - DARK MODE

Enterprise Analytics now maintains consistency with Onshape dark mode.

Analytics Dark Modepng

RENDER STUDIO IMPROVEMENTS

TRANSFORM ELEMENT

It is now possible to Transform all element types in Render Studio scenes with the exception of faces. Rotation and scaling transforms now take place around an origin point automatically placed at the center of all of the selected elements.

Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 123514 PMpng

HIDDEN AND SUPPRESSED IMPROVEMENTS

Performance improvements have been implemented in this release to make hiding and showing parts in a Render Studio faster than before.
Additionally, components can now be suppressed or unsuppressed in a Render Studio. Unlike hiding a component (which is a per-user/session action), suppressing or unsuppressing an element persists across sessions. See the help documentation for more details.

DUPLICATE APPEARANCE

You may now easily duplicate an appearance from the Appearances list's right-click context menu. This is extremely useful for any appearances you have heavily customized. You can duplicate the appearance to make a variation, without having to recreate it from scratch.

Duplicate Appearance RSpng

PERFORMANCE - APPLYING APPEARANCES

Changes have been made to how part, assembly, and subassembly appearance data is handled. You will find improved performance when assigning appearances to a large number of elements at once. This change also help with loading times in Render Studios with a large number of parts and appearances.

DARK MODE FOR RENDER STUDIOS

Dark mode support has been extended to include Render Studio.

Render Studio DMpng

FEATURESCRIPT IMPROVEMENTS

CUSTOM TABLES ON DRAWINGS

FeatureScript custom tables can now be placed directly in Onshape Drawings.

FILTER FEATURESCRIPT NOTICES

It is now possible to search and filter notices directly in the FeatureScript notices panel.

fs-noticespng

TEXT REFERENCE PARAMETER

You may now import a .txt file as a string to be used as a reference parameter in your custom features.

text-ref-parampng

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

INTRO TO PART STUDIOS COURSE

In our ongoing effort to improve the material offered in the Learning Center, we have added the Introduction to Part Studios course. This will be a complete replacement for the previous Part Modeling in Part Studios course. It has a completely new layout including new videos and exercises.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.

Tagged:

Comments

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,756 PRO

Yep, active sheet metal derive will open up some options for sure!
    We often find ourselves creating "too many" SM parts in a part studio resulting in poor performance (but we live with it because it's so convenient!)…
    Now we'll be able to derive them elsewhere to add small details and help overall regen performance!

Configurations in repair where an issue so glad to see this fixed!

I'll be doing some rendering soon so glad to hear about performance improvements there!

• Nicole_PhillipsNicole_Phillips Member Posts: 5 PRO

Another great release!! Thank you Onshape!

• Caden_ArmstrongCaden_Armstrong Member Posts: 118 PRO

Custom tables in drawings is fantastic. Solves so many problems.
    Custom BOMs, Cut lists, so many options.

Text data input is great. That is going to be really helpful for some weird workflows.
    I can pretty much write my own file importers in FeatureScript (ie, SVG, or any text based format).
    The 100kb file size limit is a bit small, but I'm still happy to see it.

www.smartbenchsoftware.com --- fs.place --- Renaissance
    Custom FeatureScript and Onshape Integrated Applications
  • rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭

Nice touch on the "indicator of under-defined sketches" - small thing, but very useful.

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,785 PRO

Structure view looks amazing, and so many other goodies.

Under constrained sketch indication is one of those things I've missed since day one of using Onshape. I've lived without it but happy to see it finally.

Text files and custom tables are going to enable so many things…

• adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 266 PRO

Very chunky release, great work guys!
    Structure View has been long awaited, but I have a couple of IRs

-Have it be available/visible from inside a Document like the in a panel similar to the Tab Manager
    - Can it be available for Assembly's and Drawings that are not yet released?

Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,202

@Caden_Armstrong @Jacob_Corder

I'm surprised you didn't mention notice filtering — that's been a big pain point for me when writing FS and I was thinking about you guys when we built it. Has fishing for notices in a document with lots of tabs not been an issue for you?

Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 93 PRO

The derived sheet metal could not have come at a better time! I'm working with a customer that also has Onshape and the documents are owned by them but I want to derive parts into our document(s) for us to assign our own part numbers and such. Now I can put a flat pattern on the drawings!

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 540
    edited September 20

@adrian_vlzkz I've created some tickets for you. We have improvements for everything you mentioned. We can discuss more in the tickets. Usually people have some imagined state other than Latest Released in their mind, even if we don't have that imagined state implemented yet.

• adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 266 PRO

Thanks Pete, yes maybe like a manually way to generate the Structure without having to go thru a Release Candidate/Workflow

Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 540

So… something like a Design Review, but not needing to be gated by part numbers and revisions?

• philip_7philip_7 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭

Wow - so much to be excited for in this release:

Derived sheet metal will be a tremendous help for deriving a family of (now sheet metal) parts derived from a master configurable model

Structure view is something I've been waiting on for a long time…. it reminds me of the way the old SW workgroup PDM ;) made it so easy to see what was in an assembly

Great QOL improvements to under-defined sketches, drawings, render studio, and featurescript

• Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 85 PRO

THERE'S A REPAIR MANAGER!?!?
    Not gonna lie this update made me gasp over and over so much I'm going to need an inhaler

I love every single new feature bar a couple that aren't relevent to me, and the custom tables in drawings almost made me explode!

• robert_johnstonrobert_johnston Member Posts: 39 PRO

Woah nice to see a Sheet Metal improvement, this one will be well used. Hopefully a sign of more to come like Conical and Loft!

• Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 64 PRO

Drawing styles for sketched objects is a big one for me. Many thanks for the update!

• Caden_ArmstrongCaden_Armstrong Member Posts: 118 PRO

I did notice it, but its never really been that big a pain.
    I find the majority of debugging I do is focused on debugEntities, if something is failing its a bad query 9/10 times.

www.smartbenchsoftware.com --- fs.place --- Renaissance
    Custom FeatureScript and Onshape Integrated Applications
  • reftfgyhiugjfhytgdrfreftfgyhiugjfhytgdrf Member Posts: 3 EDU

Is there a way to disable the visual indicator for under constrained sketches? I never constrain anything.

• Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 85 PRO

@S1mon to be fair they're probably hyperbaling. Though I get the need to hide the indicator as it's just one more thing to notice and think about.
    @reftfgyhiugjfhytgdrf an auto constrain feature would be helpful though especially for imported DXF's.
    I usually just constrain my sketchs even when I don't need to, and a good habit to learn is to constrain the sketch as you draw

• ethan_keller924ethan_keller924 Member, csevp Posts: 42 PRO

@ilya_baran I love the text reference parameter - super useful, thank you! The 100kb is a pretty small limit - would it be possible to increase? I'm still working around this with a json input since those aren't limited and just embedding my text string in the JSON.

• Urs_Egger_REACTUrs_Egger_REACT Member Posts: 73 PRO
    edited September 23

Great new features!
    However with the new underconstrained indicator a new constraint "constant length" would be helpful. So I could use it for all supporting lines where the length value itself is not relevant. Using a dimension each time to make it a certain lenght is not helping to keep the sketch in overview. So just the current value as constant value was much more easy and I can use it for all supporting lines at the same time.

• JosefBurjetaJosefBurjeta Member Posts: 21 PRO

Indicator for Under-constrained sketches is really cool. I also like the option to change styles for 2D sketches - but it would be nice if it will be available also for 3D sketches, shown on 2D drawing views.
    And in the changelog there's neat improvement, which adds possibility to add inspection item to THRU value in Hole callout. So cool, no more custom grouped Callouts.

• john_allen289john_allen289 Member Posts: 37 PRO

Yes.

Seen Structure View on the horizon for a while, great to have it Released, this is a big part of getting in-house non-CAD Light Users who only care about Released data interfacing with our Enterprise to self serve information..

Custom Tables on drawings. At Last. A great reason to finally brush-up my feature script skills as the Custom Table now has somewhere to go!

Great work Onshape, keep it up!

• john_allen289john_allen289 Member Posts: 37 PRO

…and basic sketching on drawings, really good.

• Jacob_CorderJacob_Corder Member Posts: 133 PRO

@ilya_baran That was my favorite part of the update. I spend hours looking for specific fs notices and this updated filtering will definitely help with reducing that time. I just forgot to mention it and credit you guys on your constant hard work.

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,202

@Jacob_Corder

Thanks! I was asking because this story was scheduled based on my experience, rather than lots of customers asking for it, and I wanted to see if that matched other FS devs' experience. So @Caden_Armstrong's feedback here is really valuable as well — as we think of ways to make debugging easier, we'll pay special attention to queries.

@ethan_keller924

What would a reasonable limit be from your point of view? And are you able to get good performance processing such giant strings?

Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc