Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - September 20th, 2024

2»

Comments

• alan_smith_16072alan_smith_16072 Member Posts: 3 EDU

As someone that coaches a robotic team, I LOVE showing that the sketches are not fully constrained. This helps reinforce what I am trying to teach about always constraining sketches!!!

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,472 PRO

Wow - what a package this month! Many requests got checked.

Can't wait to test everything and nice to see some progress on rendering too ..
    Looking forward to that model structure tree for us pro users too!

//rami
  • ethan_keller924ethan_keller924 Member, csevp Posts: 42 PRO

@ilya_baran for our use case, we're using the text to hold an svg that we pass through to a variable that is then serialized and consumed by a printing machine we have in the factory. The svg is unfortunately quite inefficient since the machine it is fed to has extremely limited svg parsing capabilities so we are perhaps a bit of a strange case. But at least 1 MB would be good. To be consistent, should it just have the same limit as a JSON blob import?

• chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 138 PRO

I've been using the filtering a lot over the past few days and have found it to be useful, but that's probably because we usually work in documents with 50+ part studios.

I'd have to do some more thinking about what kinds of improvements we'd be looking for surrounding debugging queries. I know that when a query fails in a loop it is tricky to isolate the first instance of that error so I usually need to do some kind of statement like

if(i == 0)

{

debug(context, query);

return true;

}

Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,596

@chadstoltzfus I agree, I think the :currenttab is the most useful. Do you also have issues with multiple features in the same Part Studio with debug messages and println's? I know I do. Currently, I think the only way to do this is to find the feature id then do something like if(id[0] == "xxxxxxxx") but it's painful. I would like to see a filter that only shows messages from the feature currently being edited - would this be useful to you also?

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,887 PRO

Filtering!! Thank you!

FeatureScript + Render Studio updates 😍

Hey! The "trying to select multiple parts at a time but it was selecting faces" issue is fixed!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 138 PRO

@NeilCooke I have plenty of instances where the console output becomes difficult to parse due to volume. We import in a lot of configured Part Studios and sometimes we intentionally break features in those Part Studios to create correct information (or lack of information). This can cause a large amount of overflow error messages which can make it tricky when debugging. And good luck if I accidentally left a debug or println in a custom feature used in that imported part studio, because those will carry over too.

I've had some challenges in identifying where a debug or println is coming from. I didn't think about using the feature id, that will be helpful for now. But I really like your idea about showing messages from features being edited. I think it would also be nice to see what features are generating what FS console output, since sometimes they do not directly come from the feature being edited, like when using Derive. I could see that getting tricky though, because you might care about which feature is generating the output but you also might care about which feature studio the output is sent from, especially in cases where a feature studio is importing a library of function from another feature studio.

Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com
  • Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 93 PRO

Same! Now the one exception we gave ourselves (the endpoints of construction lines) is coming back to judge us!

• martin3dmartin3d Member Posts: 5 PRO

>fully customize and manually override a Fit class tolerance dimension on a drawing

great update, thank you so much - we've worked with a workaround for your german tolerance drawing style for two years - PROST UND DANKE 🍺