Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Group sketch entities similar to assembly group?

Connor_LeCLaireConnor_LeCLaire Member Posts: 33 PRO

Hello,

Is it possible to group sketch entities so the sketch geometry is defined relative to itself? This would allow the sketch to be translated and reoriented if copied + pasted but the geometry would remain the same. The most basic example would be a square sketch entity that has no horizontal or vertical. Using transform for this would be a huge pain as I need to define the position with other sketch entities and their constraints (ie have two lines relative to some fixed geometry that I then make equal length to have clearance). This is for a clearance and positioning study in 2D.

I am using a sketch that was generated from the cross section of an imported part. Defining it fully with dimensioning will take a while and it would be useful to just group the entities so the geometry cannot change.

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,799 PRO

Turn it into a flat surface and you can transform and scale it as much as you want. Then you can just select the face and extrude it or sketch on it to modify it further.