Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Australian Standards - 3rd Angle Projection

chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
Hi,

Australian paper standards are same as ISO.  Common sizes are A4, A3 etc.  

However, Australian Drafting Standards call for 3rd Angle Projection, completely opposite to European Standards.

Ref Australian Standard AS 1100 .

Any plans to allow user choice of projections (1st or 3rd Angle) and dimensioning (ISO or ANSI)?

Comments

• shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Yes. Definitely there could be a plan to allow for selecting projections from 1st angle and 3rd angle. You can mention this under a separate category as improvement request at this forum link 
    https://forum.onshape.com/categories/improvement-requests
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    +1
  • jon_mcintyrejon_mcintyre Onshape Employees Posts: 56
    We are making plans for making this easy to do at the drawing template level, meaning when first creating the drawing.   Our short-term plans don't include the ability to change angle projection after the drawing is created, but you will be able to specify it at creation time. 
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited October 2015
    We are making plans for making this easy to do at the drawing template level, meaning when first creating the drawing.   Our short-term plans don't include the ability to change angle projection after the drawing is created, but you will be able to specify it at creation time. 
    This sound's great @jon_mcintyre . So I should hold making my templates to AS1100 for a bit? I am keen to get these up and going.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    Anyone who can wait a month or so will find the flexibility of their template choices greatly increased, with choice of angle projection being a part of that.  That's about all I can say for certain at this point.

We want to give people the template options which are most important to them, so please everyone keep the feedback coming.  
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I think the development model which has worked so well for the solid modelling aspects of Onshape is ill-suited to the very different challenges of developing a drawing package.

For me, there are currently so many showstopping deficiencies in drawings that I struggle to put them in any sort of order of priority. Every time I dip my toe back in by trying to produce a real-life drawing, I am quickly forced to reconsider, retire and lick my wounds, and resort to another package.

EVERY solid modelling development process I'm familiar with has seen a very long time period between the introduction of 2D output and it reaching viable maturity, but even in that company, it seems to me that Onshape's public beta was particularly premature.

Until people can do real work with the package, the quality and quantity of user feedback will be heavily compromised.

I'll take an example at random: suppression of trailing zeroes. Many of my clients (and this is by no means a local aberration) use the number of decimal places to denote default tolerances ... so for them, 120 means something different from 120.0 and very different from 120.00

Currently, at least for metric drawings, Onshape shows all of these as 120, regardless of the level of precision dialed up by the user for that dimension.

So even something as apparently trivial as this is effectively a show-stopper, as is the notion that all businesses conform strictly to their national drawing standard. The user consequently needs control at the level of individual settings.

I have no idea whether trailing zeroes is going to be dealt with at the template level, so I don't know if it belongs in this topic, but I do know there are literally hundreds of more serious missing capabilities or settings at present.

@andrew_troup
    Thank you for your feedback.  Your perspective makes sense.  Drawings were released early because they were better than the option that users had up until then, which was nothing at all.  We agree that we still need to add some basic customizability, so that will be a main focus for drawings in the next few months, both in terms of templates and the ability to edit some drawing properties after creation.  We'll start with the properties most requested in the forum and tickets, then add from there.  The trailing zeroes is definitely on the early list. 

I know your example was just one issue picked at random, but hopefully it will help someone to hear about this workaround for the trailing zero issue which can be used until property editing is available.  Since our templates can be exported/imported as DWG files, you can download a template, open it in a DWG editor, change the variable "DIMZIN" to 0, save, then re-upload to Onshape.  This will only help for drawings made with that template after the change.

Of course, we plan to cut down on the need for such workarounds as quickly as possible.  Until then I'll be happy to describe more workarounds if needed.
  • andrew_kleinertandrew_kleinert Member Posts: 47 PRO
    +1 for AS1100 option for default drawing templates

(Workaround using "Custom Template" option works OK, but AS1100 option would be nicer :) )
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    :+1:
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100