Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Failed to import projects from openscad to Onshape?

erica_dancyerica_dancy Member Posts: 1
Hi all,
I am a new member in this forum. I came to know about Onshape last week. Previously I had used OpenScad but it has few limitations. One of my technical mentor at <a href="http://www.sparkinnovations.com/">Spark innovations suggested</a> me to use Onshape for designing and modelling works. But I am unable to import my projects from Openscad to Onshape. Do anyone here have experience on this? Is it possible? Please share your ideas.

Answers

• Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

Presently Onshape can support the following CAD file formats for Import

• Parasolid
    • ACIS
    • STEP
    • IGES
    • CATIA v5
    • SolidWorks
    • Inventor
    • Pro/ENGINEER, Creo
    • JT
    If you have your project in above file formats then you can Import the file as below

1.PNG 184.1K
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Just to be clear - you can import ANY data type into Onshape and use Onshape to provide version and revision management. Not all data types can be rendered - those that cannot are simply stored in the tab. Those that can, are either automatically translated (in the case of a bulk upload) or can be manually translated. The data types that can be rendered are; text, images, pdfs and b-rep geometry (solids and surfaces). Note that STL does not fall into either of these categories. STL is an end-stage byproduct of geometric design. With regards to OpenSCAD, the datatype is a 'language' that describes how to build faceted geometry. The output is not b-rep and therefore cannot be rendered in Onshape. I did experiment with changing the extension of an OpenSCAD file to .txt and uploading it - it works nicely to see the code, but you cannot do anything with it currently.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • MichaëlMichaël Member, Developers Posts: 2
    You may have also interest to take a look at this article who's explaining some indirect way to not lose the geometry design by-passing the STL conversion using FreeCAD to get an OpenSCAD model into Onshape: 
    * http://fightpc.blogspot.pt/2015/06/importing-openscad-designs-into-onshape.html 
  • lars_anderssonlars_andersson Member Posts: 20
    mmemetea said:
    You may have also interest to take a look at this article who's explaining some indirect way to not lose the geometry design by-passing the STL conversion using FreeCAD to get an OpenSCAD model into Onshape: 
    * http://fightpc.blogspot.pt/2015/06/importing-openscad-designs-into-onshape.html 
    Seems the link has died?
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    We often receive requests to import STL as B-rep. Yes it's technically possible, but please understand than you are importing a faceted representation that has (by definition) less accuracy than B-rep and as the face count rises (as it tends to RAPIDLY), the performance of Onshape declines. We have test cases where a casting made of 25 faces becomes 30,000 faces once it has made the round trip as STL - needless to say the performance of ANY B-rep CAD system would be suffering horribly at this point. Bottom line - please ask yourself why you are trying to read in an STL file? That's like asking to edit a PDF file when the original Word doc would be so much easier/faster. :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape