Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

STL export issue

giacomo_ardesigiacomo_ardesi Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited November 2015 in Using Onshape
Hi all,

I'm exporting this model I made for our wedding rings to be 3D printed...but there's an issue with one hidden auxiliary surface I used to make the inner engravings with...: on export (STL, binary, fine) the surface "appears" even though it was hidden and notice it's actually fully circular, though on export it appears as if it's half circle...what's strange is that one month ago the (substantially) same model exported flawlessly! And also made 3D print perfectly.

I attached two images.

cheers
Giacomo

Comments

• andy_morrisandy_morris Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 87
    Hi Giacomo,
    Please could you open a support ticket (from Help > Feedback) and we will investigate.
    Congratulations on your marriage from the Onshape team!
    Andy
    Andy Morris / Head of Product Design / Onshape, Inc.
  • giacomo_ardesigiacomo_ardesi Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Thank you Andy! I was making the last tuning to the model in order to take advantage of the 20% discount on Shapeways until next nov 29...! (18k gold is quite expensive).

Doh!
    Ok, left feedback and shared models with the team of both rings. Going in bed (midnight here in Italy). Hope you can work it out!

cheers
    Giacomo
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    @giacomo_ardesi

If the surface appears in the surfaces list (below the parts list, which in turn is below the feature list)

You will be able to select that surface (you will first need to click on the right-pointing arrowhead to expand the surface list as shown), then RMB , and choose "Delete"

Although this brings up a "Delete Part" dialog, the Delete feature also works to delete surfaces, and this is quite common practice to clean up a solid model once any surfaces have done their job further up the tree.

This might work as a stop-gap workaround to get your part printed.
    @giacomo_ardesi

If the surface appears in the surfaces list (below the parts list, which in turn is below the feature list)

You will be able to select that surface (you will first need to click on the right-pointing arrowhead to expand the surface list as shown), then RMB , and choose "Delete"

Although this brings up a "Delete Part" dialog, the Delete feature also works to delete surfaces, and this is quite common practice to clean up a solid model once any surfaces have done their job further up the tree.

This might work as a stop-gap workaround to get your part printed.
    Andrew, that worked! Thank you very much indeed for your time and kindness. GIacomo