Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

spindle rework

iain_downsiain_downs Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
Hi, all.

I'm new to onShape and mainly new to CAD (and a hobbiest - so amateur all round)!  

I'm trying to design a lathe spindle.  

I've got a series of extruded, concentric cylinders, which is fine, but I now want to make some changes.  Specifically, I want to reduce the diameter of *part* of one of the cylinders (to allow for a smaller bearing at the back).  The options I see are to split the cylinder across and deal with each half (e.g. reduce the diameter of one half, to split the cylinder at a sketch and insert a new extruded circle (cylinder) between the two components or to 'thin' part of the extrusion.

I can't work out how to do any of these!  

Or some other way.

Any help much appreciated

Iain
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    @iain_downs

If you have modelled the spindle from scratch in Onshape, you can simply edit the relevant sketch and change the diameter of the extruded circle. 

If you have imported a spindle modelled elsewhere, click on the cylindrical face and invoke "Move Face/Offset"

• iain_downsiain_downs Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Thanks.

Iain