Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Inference of intersection point between plane and solid

JonathanJonathan Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
I built a plane that cuts a solid at a certain point. I would like to use one of the intersection points of the plane and the solid in a new sketch. OS doesn't seem to "infer" that intersection point.. Is there any method of making the plane useful in this sense?

thanks,

Jonathan.

Best Answer

Answers

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    You have to slice the part in half. By doing this, OS generate edges that you can use.

There's no inferencing for edge entities passing through a sketch. This has been registered as a bug.

After you are done inferencing to the edges of your sliced part. You can mirror it back to create a whole and boolean it back together. If the part isn't a mirror, then you'll have to copy it cut'm in half and frankenstein stitch them back together.

This isn't optimal, it's pre-production.

• kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Another reason why we need a split line tool urgently...
  • JonathanJonathan Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Thanks Bill,

As you said, the method you suggest is quite complicated - currently i'd try to "find" my point with constrained construction lines, and hopefully soon this feature will be available..

Jonathan.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Jonathan Nathan Sounds like you are looking for an intersection curve.  Yes splitting the part is one method or you can use that plane and some construction lines you can then reference.  There is an improvement we have logged to reference planes in sketch so you can tie geometry to reference planes in the model as well.  Let me know if any of those sound like what you are after.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    @LouGallo‌ ,

yes, referencing a plane in a sketch is exactly what I've asked for... is it already available?

Jonathan.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Jonathan it is not currently in there but I added a ticket for it in your name.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    @LouGallo‌
    Thanks!
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jonathan

This has since been implemented: you can now create a coincident relation between a sketch point and a plane, or a planar face.
    (Something Sldwks still cannot do)

Hopefully it will eventually be enhanced to allow a relation with a non-planar face.
  • jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    Also check out the Pierce constraint for constraining Sketch entities to points of intersection between arbitrary 3d edges and the current sketch plane.  
  • frank_harper103frank_harper103 Member Posts: 1
    Making sketches based on intersections with other planes took me forever to figure out. It never occurred to me that you could create a coincident relation with a surface/plane that wasn't in the current sketch plane! Maybe this would be worth highlighting somewhere? For me it was a major stumbling block. I was so happy when I finally read this post!