Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Branch par or subassembly only

arturs_ziprisarturs_zipris OS Professional Posts: 27 PRO
Can I make branch of part or subassembly only. I do not need to make branch of all my big assembly. Just to copy part or subassembly and make some changes. It would just be easier to design.

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited February 2016
    Artus - you can "duplicate" any part studio (creates an exact copy in the current workspace), you can derive any number of parts into a new part studio (associatively), you can branch the entire document and then delete the elements you don't need. I am not exactly sure what you're trying to do, but between those 3 options you should be able to do what you want. :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • arturs_ziprisarturs_zipris OS Professional Posts: 27 PRO
    Yes, chaged philosophy and everything is going on now. Great soft anyhow!
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @philip_thomas
    "you can branch the entire document and then delete the elements you don't need"
    I would like to see some advanced video on merging branches in a way that you create a branch just for making new version of certain assembly / part studio and then (if succeed) merge back to main.

I think we need also duplicate assembly tab that creates exact copy into same document (no association) to able to create different versions of assemblies.

Configurations would be better solution of course, but duplicate would still be useful function is many cases.
    //rami
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @philip_thomas
    Please keep in mind that if you branch and delete some tabs, those deletions are considered changes on that branch -- if you need to merge the branch back into your main branch, the deletions will be merged in with other changes and it will be difficult to isolate deletions from the changes you actually want on that branch.

We have some better tab management tools in the works to make it easier to work without deleting tabs.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc