Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to re-use mechanical feature on multiple parts?

laird_broadfieldlaird_broadfield Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
edited March 2016 in Community Support
So, I'm currently sketching a set of things that I'd like to FDM print so they snap together in various configurations -- think Lego blocks and you'll be pretty close.

I can't figure out a good way to develop a common snap (presumably the male part and the female part) and then readily paste multiple of it into my actual parts, at various places, in correct alignment to each other -- particularly when at least the female part probably consists of void space as well as positive space.

I think there's at least three questions buried in here that I'm having trouble segmenting; thanks for any attempts at answering any of them.  I suspect this is closely related to discussions of standard parts or part libraries, but I don't see recent discussion/resolution.

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• laird_broadfieldlaird_broadfield Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    I've been fiddling with derive, but transform seems super-unwieldy... Hmm -- it's gotten drag handles.  That might make it easier.

O ho -- transform by mate connector is interesting.  It's also badly under-documented in the help, and the fact that selecting mate connectors refers to them as "derived 2", not "Part 5" is very confusing.  (Derived 2 is the operation that created Part 5 -- "derived 2" is not a part.)
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @laird_broadfield , Transform has a option to use Mate connectors to define the new orientation.
    Kindly refer below video link which will be helpful to you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO5UTK-ZYKI
    Ayup -- mate connectors have been a revelation, and I've been using them quite a bit as I get the hang of them.  (Thus, actually, my latest question: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/4229/linear-pattern-a-mate-connector).