Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape BOM App installed- where is it?

I went to the App store and downloaded the "Onshape BOM for Google Sheets".  It's shown in my Manage Account>Onshape Settings>Applications, and in the App store it's shown as "Installed".  But where is it?  How do I open and use it?  

Best Answer

Answers

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited September 2016
    I'm the developer of that app. It is a Google sheets addon so you have to run it from google sheets. Let me know if you have questions from there. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @edward_petrillo , You have to open your google drive account and refer method as shown in below video.

Onshape BOM for Google Sheets Add-on connects to your Onshape account and extracts bills of material (BOMs) from your assemblies. Once extracted, all important metadata from the assembly is populated into the Google Sheet including:
    • Created by
    • Created date (UTC)
    • Modified by
    • Modified date (UTC)
    • BOM creation date

BOM columns:

• Item number
    • Quantity
    • Name
    • Description
    • Part Number
    • Revision
    • State

Modification of the BOM values in Google Sheets can also be updated and synchronized back to the Onshape part and assembly metadata fields for the following:

For workspaces and versions:

• Description
    • Part number
    • Revision

For workspaces only:

• Name

For versions only:

• State

Currently this add-on extracts a "Parts-only" BOM. Connecting Google Sheets to Onshape's full cloud CAD centralizes your Bills of Material management.

• shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    @lougallo
    My heart jumped and rose up when I saw this post.  BOM straight to sheets is basically what I do manually all the time (unsure if open BOM is what we need and do not have the brain power right now to attempt figuring out implementing it).  No customizing transferred columns sank my heart right back down :((.  It would be great to be able to customize exported columns and export into an unfolded structured bom.  I have templates that I past info into that figures out what part numbers should be folded up and which one dissolved then sums up all the length and sheet size properties to generate a total material used style list for ordering and such.  I hoping for a way other can perform this task without having to import data in a very specific way.
  • alan_baljeualan_baljeu Member, User Group Leader Posts: 111 ✭✭
    @shawn_crocker I don't know if it will serve you, but have you looked at the Open BOM app?
    Creating knowledge-driven design automation software, for molds, etc.
    www.virtualmold.com