Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Revolute Mate Connector with Servo Bracket

joseph_fournierjoseph_fournier Member Posts: 17
edited March 2016 in Community Support

Hi,

I am trying to make a Servo Bracket (attached to a Servo) rotate using a Revolute Mate, but without success. When I only use a Servo Horn and attach it to the Servo with a Revolute Mate, the Servo Horn rotates, as expected. Meanwhile, when grouping the Bracket to the Horn (either in the main assembly or a sub-assembly), the Bracket does not rotate. I have tried several alternatives such as creating Mate Connectors before adding the Revolute Mate, adding a Fastened Mate (instead of a Group) and other scenarios, but without success. What am I missing?

Thank you.

Joseph

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited March 2016
    Best to add a link to a public part if posible and share here, just copy url and paste.

My first though is, have you got one of the parts in the assembly fixed? 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • joseph_fournierjoseph_fournier Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2016

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for your reply. The Part can be found at the following link. I am trying to make the Bracket rotate 180 Degrees.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f4e7a5fad4f3f580220159a6/w/6bc12b90bccf06a029033694/e/61ac57520e9ed0e004cf6db5

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Joseph

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @joseph_fournier , Kindly refer below link document which may solve your purpose
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/56e65af7e4b0044aa6e52e5c/w/681839e7ad2097dd97afa0c0/e/ff117e015a31749b8944f672
    Kindly refer below video which may be helpful for giving appropriate constraint.

edited March 2016
    Hi Viru,

Thank you very much for your time and help. There is one detail I do not quite understand in your implementation. Why did you create in the ServoAssembly a Fastened Connector? Also, if one actually clicks on the Play Button of the Revolute Connector (while in Edit Mode), the Servo itself rotates instead of the axis of rotation. How could I change this? Finally, how can I change the actual degrees of rotation without having OnShape automatically re-positioning the Servo? I would like to have the Bracket move parallel to the Servo instead of perpendicular to it.

Thank you again.

Joseph
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @joseph_fournier ,1) Previously part 1 is away from origin and I wanted to place near and symmetric to origin. Therefore i used fastened 1 mate for fixing part 1 with origin. You can also use "fix" option available after right clicking on part in place of fastened mate if you created parts in center.
    2) In servo with bracket assembly i have given fastened mate between part 3 of servo assembly and part 2 of bracket with horn assembly. Therefore I haven,t use play button in edit mode of fastened mate.
    3) If you want to change then give fastened mate to part 1 and part 3 in servo assembly and revolute mate between part 2 and part 3 in servo with bracket assembly. You have to give revolute mate limit value. Here you can use play button for motion.
    4) Kindly place motion video for your requirement for Bracket move parallel to the Servo instead of perpendicular to it
    Hi Viru,

Thank you for your continued help. I haven't had time yet to implement your suggestion. I will let you know the results once completed.

Thank you again.

Joseph
    Hi Viru,

I have followed your suggestions. Actually, this is how I had initially configured the Revolute Connector. I am indeed able to manually move the part around the main axis. Meanwhile, upon playing the Revolute Connector in design mode, the Bracket itself does not move, but only the Servo Horn, as it did initially. Shouldn't the Bracket be moving as well?

Thank you.

Regards,

Joseph
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Hi Viru,

I have followed your suggestions. Actually, this is how I had initially configured the Revolute Connector. I am indeed able to manually move the part around the main axis. Meanwhile, upon playing the Revolute Connector in design mode, the Bracket itself does not move, but only the Servo Horn, as it did initially. Shouldn't the Bracket be moving as well?

Thank you.

Regards,

Joseph
    While editing a mate, the play command only animates that one single mate for visual clarity.  It doesn't solve and an animate with all of the other mates at the same time.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com