Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

can i measure distance between arbitrary points without creating a sketch element?

paul_1paul_1 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited March 2016 in Community Support
sometimes i'l looking at a drawing and am interested in the distance between two points either or both of which might not be part of a defined feature.

is it possible (keyboard shortcut of some sort?) to get the distance between a selected point and the mouse cursor?  this would take care of what i want most of the time.  the distance between two non-feature points would be harder, obviously.

Answers

• Options
    fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Not that I know of, since measurements are only (automatically) shown once something is selected.

Can you share a screenshot? Maybe there is another way to get what you need quickly...
  • Options
    okay, thanks.  i don't have a particular screenshot, because i don't have a particular example.  it's just a general wish.  if you were holding a part in your hand, you might pick up a ruler to see roughly how big some feature was.  ("what if i wanted to cover a third of this face -- about how thick would the frobnitz need to be?")  clearly i can do the same by adding and then deleting a point, but i was hoping to just pick dimensions off the screen without doing that.  no big deal.
  • Options
    why is this marked "answered"?  "not that i know of" is not an answer.   "no" would be an answer.