Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Hierarchy planning for animation

ramon_hammramon_hamm Member Posts: 9
 I want to make a toy with gears that will eventually animate, gears will mesh with with real ratios. Do I draw a gear, save, start a new part or sketch or assembly, draw another of which? (These are not exact copies, different tooth count per each 5 gears). I want to understand hierarchy of assembly vs part vs sketch etc. so I can eventually move 1 gear and see it all move. Any good tutorials for this? Thanks!

Best Answer

• adamohernadamohern Member, OS Professional Posts: 216 PRO
    Answer ✓
    The approach is up to you. You can model each gear in its own part studio if that works well for your workflow, or you can model them all in a single part studio. It doesn't matter which.

Ultimately you'll just import the gears as individual Parts into an Assembly, mate them to their respective axes using revolute mates, and mate them to one another using Gear Relations. The Gear Relations will include the number of teeth for each input gear, thus insuring that the two rotate at the correct relative rate.

Answers

Answer ✓
    The approach is up to you. You can model each gear in its own part studio if that works well for your workflow, or you can model them all in a single part studio. It doesn't matter which.

Ultimately you'll just import the gears as individual Parts into an Assembly, mate them to their respective axes using revolute mates, and mate them to one another using Gear Relations. The Gear Relations will include the number of teeth for each input gear, thus insuring that the two rotate at the correct relative rate.
  • ramon_hammramon_hamm Member Posts: 9
    Thank you! I'll paste your answer into my help notes. R.L.Hamm
    You bet.