Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to extrude a surface in a direction (not normal to surface)

OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in Community Support
I want to drag a surface along a line.
I know its early and its probably right in front of me.....but I tired extrude, loft, and sweep.
What am i missing?

Best Answer

Answers

• OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    No response means not possible in Onshape?
  • james_dalessandro195james_dalessandro195 Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 7
    If I am understanding correctly, using the Transform command and checking the box that says "Copy part" should work.
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    Extrude of non-planar face is not currently supported by Onshape. As @james_dalessandro195 suggested, you can use copy transform to make a second surface and use both surfaces to split a solid. 
  • OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    Can I sweep the surfaces it along a straight line? I'll have to try it when I get home.
  • urs_eggerurs_egger Member Posts: 6 PRO
    Had the same issue and solved it with sweeping. Sweep it along a predefined sketch. It is a few steps more than in other CAD but it works out this way.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I just tried this by transforming the surface and then lofting. Seemed to work. See link

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/df330fd1044bd28e250ee48a/w/d477b9659751fbb72f697a7f/e/6cf43ae1ba3665849da96d21
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977