Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Force radius or diameter dimension in a sketch

brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
Say I've sketched  what will be a hole and add a keyway to the sketch. After trimming away a portion of the original circle I want to dimension the diameter. Because it is now not a closed arc, OS will only let me dimension it as a radius. But I want the hole to be dimensioned as a diameter. Am I missing something, or is there no way to force a radial dimension to be either a diameter or a radius?

Brian

Best Answer

Answers

• afbenevidesafbenevides Member Posts: 4 EDU
    If you are doing that in a drawing there is a diameter icon to make diameter dimensions.

As for sketch, I would divide my features, as the hole as a hole in a first feature and then the key in a second feature using extrude(remove) tool.

Hope this helps
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    If you dimension prior to trimming it will be a diameter.
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Thanks for the replies. I know that I can dimension the diameter and then trim, it's just that you don't always remember or think to do that or complete the sketch then add dimensions. If so, you are forced to use a radius when you want a diameter or vice versa. In Creo there is a method to force the one you want in these instances. 

Brian
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure that the'll have that in Onshape sooner or later. Be sure to put in a request.

_Ðave_
  • stuart_pensingerstuart_pensinger Member Posts: 1
    You can create a full circle that is a construction line, constrain it to be coincident with your arc, then dimension the construction circle. It should result in a diameter dimension that drives both the arc and the construction circle.