Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape helped get a Ducati running again

Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
While my friend was visiting, a car backed up into his Ducati motorcycle breaking the mount that holds the clutch lever.  A replacement part wasn't going to be available for awhile, and without being able to shift he couldn't ride home.  Using Onshape and my 3D printer we solved the problem.  And it totally worked!  Being able to do this so easily just made us totally giddy and I had to share.  :)   Here's pictures:
https://plus.google.com/+MarcMillerTime/posts/BfmGu5fAS1f

And here's the Onshape file.  It was drawn up really quickly so we could get it 3d printing (which took about 65 minutes) so I know it's not the cleanest way it could have been modeled.  We decided to make the part a bit thicker in a few places just to make sure the ABS plastic would be strong enough.  It seemed plenty strong and the part would probably last for months, but of course he'll be putting the real replacement part on as soon as he receives it.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b6f153fd215eba7dfcc3a167/w/13a3721050dddaba1f1b01f8/e/d8487f0a29834d514170a473

One thing I ran into while making this part-  I used a spline for one bit in the initial sketch, but I'm not sure what the best way is to constraint the various parts of a spline (to make the line turn black)?  I would welcome any tips on constraining splines.  Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,377
    Hi @Marc_Miller - that's pretty awesome!

Here are some tips for constraining your spline, hope you can follow it. Also, you could have started your first extrude as symmetric so then you wouldn't need the centerline plane.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Thank you @NeilCooke for these clear instructions.
    Much simpler without those two extra inner points I had, and making the spline ends tangent.