Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I revert to a previous version?

jon_woellhafjon_woellhaf Member Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
I saved version 7, then messed up a few things. How can I revert back to version 7?

Best Answer

Answers

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Hi jon_woellhaf,

You have a couple of options if you have a saved version you want to go back to.  You can either restore your workspace back to that version or you can create a branch off of that version and work from there.

To restore from a version, open the history/versions flyout and click on the gear for the version you want.  There will be an option 'Restore' which will put your current workspace back to the state of version.

Likewise, if you don't want to restore but work on a separate branch, just choose the "Branch to create workspace..." option.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • jon_woellhafjon_woellhaf Member Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    I do not see the Restore.

Thank you! I now see the Restore.

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    I can add you to a ticket for restoring to version even if not looking at the current workspace, if you would like.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    Yes, please do. Thanks!
  • ian_harris952ian_harris952 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Okay very old thread but here goes.
    I have the same problem, I want to revert to a previous version, and preferably delete the latest version as the changes I tried did not work at all and I don't want any of that rubbish hanging around preferably. I have created a branch from the version I want to revert to, and that's working okay, but seems like a kludgy solution to me, and I still can't delete the rubbish I don't want. It seems to me that the whole point of versioning is the ability to be able to fall back to a previous version. If you can't do that, what's the point? It's like having a backup that you can't recover.
    In all the answers I've come across so far mention is made of the gear icon or wheel on the version description. I don't see that gear on any version in my (short) list. I am only using the free version, so it this a function of the paid version only? This is the document.

Thanks,
    Ian

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    I think you have to select the version you want to restore (or hover over it?) and the gear icon will appear then. You can also click the "Show changes" to expand and see the individual changes between versions (and restore from any of those). 

You can delete a "workspace" if you want (right-click on the workspace to see a context menu), but you can delete any specific versions.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Versions are immutable that is the whole point. The gear icon is so 2016 - simply right click and select restore. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • christoph_nelleschristoph_nelles Member Posts: 2
    I think the UI designer deserves a good beating for this workflow ;-) 

Intuitive: Select the version you want to revert to, right click, select restore. 
    Reality: Select the version you want to delete, right click on the version you want revert to, select restore to version. 

Yes, I understand the issue with reverting to a version which is the root of multiple branches, but honestly, sofar I haven't seen any svn/git GUI or IDE with this workflow.

• frank_paynterfrank_paynter Member Posts: 12
    I agree completely that this is a good example of a bad GUI.  GUI's should make the user's job easier, not harder.  I'd also add the lack of a way to delete multiple constraints at one time as another example
  • glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Having at times within group design I certainly like the immutable versions. Deleting versions could be used as cover up.