Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - June 17th, 2016

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited June 2016 in New in Onshape
A long list of new improvements to show you with this update,  including some highly requested features from our users. Let's jump in.

1. NEW Feature list icons - Icons make it easier to distinguish between sketches and features in your feature list, or parts and assemblies in the instance list of your assemblies.

https://youtu.be/eXLmQ5m-6g4

2. NEW Up to vertex end condition - A new end condition in the extrude command that allows you to define the depth of your extrude by the location of a vertex or mate connector in your model.

https://youtu.be/iwMuvO61Ppw

3. IMPROVED Highlighting - Highlighting has been improved with this update to be more pronounced.

https://youtu.be/CGtBmcEiS-I

4. IMPROVED Section views - The direction of section views in part studios and assemblies can now be flipped by left-clicking the section view arrow.

https://youtu.be/VuzxLex2KaA

5. NEW Rename keyboard shortcut - Shift + n is the new keyboard shortcut for rename.

6. NEW Insert image in drawings - Images can now be inserted into Onshape drawings.  Useful for inserting company logos, bar codes, etc.

https://youtu.be/1bUKnMjRIaY

7. IMPROVED Drawings note editor - Drawings note editor improvements include a new "Insert field" dropdown to insert linked fields from the drawing, and formatting options to format these fields.

https://youtu.be/yu8ZI-ayzUg

8. IMPROVED Geometric tolerance - Geometric tolerance improvements include the ability to insert more than two control frames, and new tolerance icons for spherical diameter, radius, controlled radius, and spherical radius.

9. NEW Shift + arrow keys to pan in drawings - You can now use shift + arrow keys to pan in Onshape drawings.  This makes it easy to get from one view to the next without using the mouse.

10. NEW Associate dimensions to centerline in drawings - You can now associate dimensions to centerlines in Onshape drawings. 

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and let us know what you think!

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• jackson_kingjackson_king OS Professional Posts: 80 PRO
    edited June 2016
    Seriously?!?!?!  You guys at OS keep reading my mind with these updates!!  Very well done again, you guys rock!

Now I'm just after 3dconnexion to add support for the spacemouse enterprise on OS X....

OnShape + 3DConnexion =  #AwesomeSauce
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited June 2016
    Up to vertex extrudes, awesome, just what I need and sure up to mate connector extrude will come in handy too.
    Also great drawing improvements. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Andrew_Enslow_HPIAndrew_Enslow_HPI Member Posts: 23 ✭✭✭
    I'm especially excited about improvements #1 and #7. Thanks also for that up to vertex (#2), I remember requesting that a couple of months ago, and it feels great to feel so engaged with Onshape that we can request improvements and see them introduced down the line!
  • CaptainBisquickCaptainBisquick OS Professional Posts: 33 ✭✭
    YES!! OMG, feature icons and flip section view were some of my most desired features! Thank you!
  • Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    Nice updates... :)
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Very nice updates! One of the most important thing for me was feature list icon. Now it's very easy to recognize the features when they are renamed by user. Thank you. :smile:
  • colin_mcfarlanecolin_mcfarlane Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    All good stuff. Keep it coming. I still need holes notes and links to model data.
  • jackson_kingjackson_king OS Professional Posts: 80 PRO
  • mlml Member Posts: 53 PRO
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    VERY nice! Feature list icons make UI so much better that I'm almost requesting icons for parts list too ;)

I'm really enjoying Onshape at the moment!
    //rami
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice updates! feature icons and great drawing improvements are some of my most desired requirement! Thank you Onshape team for fulfilling my requirement
  • ales_1ales_1 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I don´t know but - 3.IMPROVED Highlighting - the color is not in overall clean design line. It looks up to much highlighted and unnatural.
  • kelly_painterkelly_painter Member Posts: 1
    Very nice.  #2 goes some way to my most desired feature which is Extrude upto {face/next/part/etc.} with offset.  With #2, I can make a plane offset from a face and then sketch on it and put a point and then use the extrude to vertex.  I would like to use the new featuresketch to implement extrude with offset if I had a lot of free time.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited June 2016
    Very nice.  #2 goes some way to my most desired feature which is Extrude upto {face/next/part/etc.} with offset. ..
    I have requested this too. It just makes sense to be able to extrude up to face/next/part etc. with offset option.
    //rami
  • will_henson612will_henson612 Member Posts: 1
    Another great set of improvements. Onshape really feels like an exciting product to use and community to be part of!
  • ber_taber_ta Member Posts: 6
    #1 is not really complete. For variables you still have always the text "variable" as a prefix for your variable name which can not be changed.
  • konrad_lindbladkonrad_lindblad Member Posts: 1

How long until we have sheet metal functionality? Or welding symbols in drawings? :)

• michael_hassonmichael_hasson OS Professional Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Yes, the absence of welding symbols is now a major obstacle in using this otherwise fantastic tool.  Keep up the effort.
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    What does it mean when we barely notice updates because everything is so intuitive? Haha! I don't want to jump the gun, but we may be entering the long tail in the solid modeling stuff now... Awesomesauce! Keep it up!