Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

bug: mirrored loft guides don't snap

jin_kai_ngjin_kai_ng Member Posts: 3
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/86b5e828d5c6262d70fbf34c/w/b7e76de41272f485c5c3661d/e/69c58b6f359f1e0454c25f83

change the angle of the line in sketch 1. this causes the loft to fail, because two out of the four guides (which are mirrored), no longer snap to the small circle.

Currently, I have to delete and add back the pierce constraint for the splines in sketch 4.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    @jin_kai_ng and @narayan_K ,

There are a few things happening here:

1) None of your sketches are fully defined. When your sketch entities are black, they are fully defined. Fully defined sketches are good practice and will prevent issues downstream.

2) I deleted your mirror and the desired geometry was generated. For this specific example, you don't need the extra guides provided by the mirror.

3) "Pierce" constraints are external constraints (they will show blue if you check the "Show all constraints" check in the Sketch dialog). External constraints are dropped on purpose in patterns and transforms. Dropping these constraints helps with way more cases than it hurts.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions,

Jason
    Support & QA
  • jin_kai_ngjin_kai_ng Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2016
    @jason_slingerland

@ 1) Okay, good to note.

@ 2) No, I do need the mirrored splines. The same model with splines exaggerated to show why (left right should be mirrored, but are not if I do not include the mirrored splines):

@ 3) What other constraint should I use then? 'Coincident' doesn't seem to work.