Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why can't you create a feature pattern of a hole?

brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
I tried unsuccessfully to pattern a hole. Since it is a feature, I thought I could select "feature pattern" but that did not work. Then I thought maybe since you have to use a sketched point to make a hole (another bothersome task) that maybe you had to make a pattern of points first then make the pattern into holes. That works, but each point has to be selected individually (ugh). Then a little looking in the forum hinted at using "face pattern." It worked, but why can't I use the feature pattern which seems more intuitive?

On another note, is there a way to make a hole using the hole tool that does not require the creation of a sketch with one or more points first? In Creo I can select a surface, hit the hole tool, and then select two edges or surfaces from which to dimension and viola. One step. OS requires 2 steps.

I would hope a new modeling system would borrow the best methods from all packages that are currently available or develop methods that are easier (fewer steps) than what is currently available. Making holes and patterns of holes feels very 2001 not 2016.

Brian

Best Answer

Answers

• MatthewMatthew OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 26 PRO
    edited July 2016
    @brian_brady I have successfully patterned a hole using the face pattern selection.  

I agree, you would think that choosing hole as a feature would pattern that feature.  But one of the interesting things I did was have a hole that made several holes, using the face pattern I could choose just one of the holes to make a pattern of.  Not ideal but it works.

And I agree about taking two steps to create a hole, it's kind of a pain sometimes, especially when dropping in a countersunk hole that you may not know all the dimensions of.  Much better to let me put the hole in the part and then dimension the hole to the edges or other features.  This is how I did it in Solidworks as well.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 to just dropping a hole on a face or plane.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO

On another note, is there a way to make a hole using the hole tool that does not require the creation of a sketch with one or more points first? In Creo I can select a surface, hit the hole tool, and then select two edges or surfaces from which to dimension and viola. One step. OS requires 2 steps.

+1

Yes, yes, yes -  this system with integrated pattern would be awesome
    //rami