Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Have hit 100 MB limit of free plan almost overnight -- now what?

bdububdubu Member Posts: 9
edited August 2016 in Community Support
My free plan space has been plummeting like a rock over the past week. This morning I awoke to having about 10 MB available and by 5PM (after adding just one new part) I now have 2 MB available. As a hobbyist user of Onshape, what are my options? I'm a little surprised to find myself in this situation considering that I only have a single private Onshape document/project. Is there some way for me to compact space, delete history or whatever? Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Make a copy to purge history or go public. I suppose you need to use public space temporary to be able to copy document. And final solution is of course - pro plan =)
    //rami
  • Options
    ab_cd744ab_cd744 Member Posts: 5
    > Make a copy to purge history

Yes, the procedure below frees up space for me…

For each document where you can afford to purge change history:
        On the documents page:
    • Hover the mouse over the document
    • Click the gear icon
    • From the dropdown menu, select “Copy workspace…”
    • Click “Ok” to accept the new document name with the “- Copy” suffix
       The document copy opens:
    • From the documents menu (to the right of Onshape logo), select "Close document"
        On the documents page:
    • use the up/down arrow keys to hilight only the original version of the document (Not the new copy)
    • Hover the mouse over the old document
    • Click the gear icon
    • From the dropdown menu, select “Move to trash”
    • Click the Trash icon
    • Click the “Empty trash” button
    • Careful with this step: Click "OK" to PERMANENTLY DELETE the documents in Trash
    Other tips:
    • Try to keep the total number of your documents to not more than 8, so you will be able to make a copy without hitting the 10 file limit
    • So long as you don't need history, get in the habit of doing the procedure above after working with a document so the 100Mb limit doesn't sneak up on you
    • upgrade to pro plan

• Options
    ethanethan Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 24
    You also receive 5 gb of public storage. As a hobbyist hopefully you can make your designs public! If you need more private documents there is the professional plan! 
  • Options
    HakroHakro Member Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
    Attention:
    Copying a document deletes not only the history but also the saved versions and the branches!
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    hakro said:
    Attention:
    Copying a document deletes not only the history but also the saved versions and the branches!

+1 for the option to save versions and branches when copying documents.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    hakro said:
    Attention:
    Yep, that's why it says 'Copy workspace'

@_dave_ What would be the professional use case for this feature? (Just trying to understand..)
    //rami
  • Options
    There's a few but one would be that I could make a copy to share and still have the unmolested original archived.
  • Options
    But that's what versions are for, right? If you have multiple copies of document, they would be like file copies without version control.

I would prefer deeper settings for share rather than having backups to secure the original data.
    //rami
  • Options
    @3dcad Currently I have an issue with a document in which one branch will not merge into another properly therefore I would like to report via feedback to onshape. I realize that onshape will require me to share the document and likely perform some testing on my document in which I am currently working on. I usually make a copy to share with onshape but unfortunately branches are not included in the copy so therefore a copy is unless to share with onshape and therefore I don't bother issuing feedback and the issue will not be reported.
    This is one current actual example in which versions won't help.

Also for everyone starting and even for many that have been using onshape for a while, versions are a bit to grasp the concept of and just making a quick copy is a simple solution.
  • Options
    mickaelmickael Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Hello, since the new release, when I copy my document, then copy take more space (original : 63Mb / copy : 73Mb).

However, the copy has lost the history. How is it possible ?