Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Plane Axis orientation

prajwal_shankarprajwal_shankar Member, Developers Posts: 11
@ilya_baran

Lets say you have created a plane "Plane 2" as shown below. now as you see the plane created in in the same axis orientation of the Global X and Y axis even tough I have used the edge of the extrude to define the rotating axis. I want the plane to be oriented in such a way that the axis system of "Plane 2" should have its x-axis in the direction of the edge selected and y-axis perpendicular to it. Can this be done????

If so can this be done using FS and how?????!!!!!

Because achieving this in FS is my final goal.

Comments

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,174
    The orientation of construction planes can not be controlled (from FS or the UI).  However, if you need the plane for a sketch with a certain coordinate system (this is very common), using newSketchOnPlane (instead of newSketch) will let you do that without a construction plane at all -- it takes a Plane value and preserves the Plane's x axis.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • prajwal_shankarprajwal_shankar Member, Developers Posts: 11
    @ilya_baran

I understand that you are talking about this option

newSketchOnPlane(context, id, {
                         "sketchPlane" : plane(vector(0, 0, 0) * inch, vector(0, 0, 1))
                 });

I understand that the first vector dictates the origin of the plane, but i have an issue with understanding the definition of the second vector. I also know it is something to do with angle with respect to the xy plane. Can you please explain me on how it works with an example or something because I am really struggling with it. For example how do you make a plane in the above case if the edge of the extrude is at 'say' 85 degrees with the front plane???

Is it possible to do the sketch i intended to as above with this option????

Thanks 
  • Dylan_StewartDylan_Stewart Member, Developers Posts: 107 PRO
    @prajwal_shankar  I am messing around with this right now, and what I am finding is that the first vector is for X,Y,Z and the second one is for the plane in which to create the sketch (FRONT, RIGHT, TOP)

I think.... 
    Digital Engineering
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first vector is the origin, and the second is the normal vector. If you add a third vector, that will be the x direction. 
  • prajwal_shankarprajwal_shankar Member, Developers Posts: 11
    @mahir

Thanks for the reply, but just to confirm the last two vectors should have angles(in degrees or radiance) as their values !

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first vector needs to have length units. The last two indicate directions (not angles), so they should be unitless.