Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Getting assembly studio information back into part studio?

OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
I've used assembly studio to line up parts from two different part studios.
Now that I have their alignment I need to get that alignment info ... points or something ... back into part studio so I can design the mating hardware.
I don't immediately see how to do that.
Any suggestions?

Answers

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    @OpenR2, You can use derived operation in part studio and make alignment as per your requirement. Add existing parts, sketches, planes, helices, and mate connectors into another Part Studio.  This is linked to the original and any changes will update everywhere the derived feature exists. Kindly refer below video for more detail.

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Positioning can be achieved by using mate connectors on each part and using the Transform -> With mate connectors option.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    As others have said, I would suggest instead aligning the parts in a Part Studio. This way you can design in context and changes will propagate to other parts. The purpose of the assembly studio is to check dynamic mates and motion between parts rather than aligning parts.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    The problem is that I want to use different states of the kinematics to drive the design of the supporting structure. So I really can't use any of the kinematics simulation output to drive back into the design in the part studio?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I'd like to position the kinematics a different positions and minimally drop some points that I can take back into part studio and drive the design off the supporting gimbal brackets.

• Options
    Tim/Lou,

I know I've kept you busy with all the STL questions but now that I have the STLs imported and positioned, I am now back to working on the actual design.

Any suggestions for capturing points of interest while moving the kinematics through its range of motion? Then using those to optimize the original mechanism geometry?

Robert

• Options
    fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    As mentioned before, you definitely want to keep the "designing" aspect of your project in the part studio.

I also think using Mate Connectors (which are just coordinate systems, really) and transform features would work well, but it depends on complex the motion is. Is it possible for you to share the geometry with us?
  • Options
    TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    I agree with James, if you could share the doc with us it would make suggesting workflows much easier.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.