Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Outer Shell fail

shai_perednikshai_perednik Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
I'm trying to outer shell a duct, but it fails.  I think it's because some regions are too small, but I'm not sure how to fix this.  Link to the doc is @ https://cad.onshape.com/documents/14f3d01d62b5237f728896c5/w/40e0afc950b8ca0dfecf9ef8/e/8c473ae13c752e424f8b5051.

I can do an inner shell just fine, but then it blocks the fan opening.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Our Shell command only removes material from a body to produce a cavity of constant wall thickness: https://cad.onshape.com/help/#shell.htm?Highlight=shell. Please file a feedback ticket to request the addition of outer shell functionality to help increase it's priority
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    @shai_perednik You can accomplish what you want here with the move face command.  Select the Offset Option in the dropdown, pick your faces and then set your offset direction and distance.  I have added a move face feature to your document.  Have a look.
  • Options
    @PeteYodis
    Thank you for adding that move face @ .2.  While this helps, that offset should be 1.5, but that fails.  1mm for the offset works, but it creates these "wings".  Which are created, I believe because of the loft.  I probably should be lofting with guides, but can't figure out what plane to draw my guides on.  Thank you!

• Options
    @PeteYodis, thank you, I played around with it a bit more and your right.  I have it kind of working now, figured out how to create the guides so I'll take advantage on the next design.