Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

With storage and document changes what is the limit of storing a single file

OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
I have a high density ASCII point scan of a Star Wars prop that I want to store as part of a collaborative project. The file is 1.2GB and trying several time over the past two years would fail the upload at the 1GB mark.

I do work for several automotive and aerospace OEMs and I see single files in the 1-1.5GB range on this generation of CAD tools. I don't think I've seen a 2GB file yet.

Is this limit removed? If not can we get the limit raised from 1GB to 2GB?

i tried zipping it but the zip tries to import as a solid works assembly.

I guess I could zip and then rename extension to txt. But now we start down the path of spending more time on the workaround than the fix.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Darren_A_HenryDarren_A_Henry Onshape Employees Posts: 64
    H@OpenR2

The Onshape Professional Plan has no storage limits.  The new Free Plan also has no storage limits for public data.  You can learn about our plans here: https://www.onshape.com/cad-pricing.  

If your file is failing to upload, it is important you open a tech support ticket, and we can figure out why.  There should not be any issue - Onshape was the tool the Rogue One squad used to share the Death Star plans with Leia (then, as you know she wasted time collaborating with old school files and droids)
  • Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 360
    Hi @OpenR2. Try giving your upload another try. We've invoked our mystical DevOps powers to make some adjustments:

You should find that uploads up to 2GB will work now.

Note that @darren_henry wanted a Star Wars reference, but this week belongs to the Strange...

-John
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    Darren_A_HenryDarren_A_Henry Onshape Employees Posts: 64
    Nice.  Sorry for the mis-information, and the bad Star Wars reference.  @john_rousseau you are the new hope.
  • Options
    OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    Awesome. Let me give it another try.