Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to color selected surface of part?

peter_ksenicpeter_ksenic Member Posts: 2
edited November 2016 in Community Support
OK, here is the problem, I will create 3D model by using ONSHAPE. It is solid part. But how can I change the color of selected surface? I know how to change part color. I do not need to change part color. I need top change the color of selected surface. Thank you for any advice. 

Answers

• peter_ksenicpeter_ksenic Member Posts: 2
    Thank you ... so I need to try another CAD. Quite sad, ONSHAPE is not looking bad. 

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I have voted and keenly awaiting this improvement . As a workaround if needed just for visual representation, you can build with 2 parts with different colours and combine in an assembly using a group mate. Not ideal but worked for 1 of my projects. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Another workaround is to copy the part to a new part studio and then edit it so it becomes a surface model. (Each of the fundamental solid-creating features is also capable of creating surfaces)

Onshape does permit the colouring of individual surfaces. If there are only a few surfaces needing colouring, you could create a hybrid model, part solid and part surface. 
  • james_wetzeljames_wetzel OS Professional Posts: 4 PRO
    * Bump * - I definitely still want this!
  • aaron_clarkaaron_clark Member Posts: 2
    Has there been any progress made on this? Changing the color on individual faces on a part is absolutely vital for me. 
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    We cant comment on the progress of specific improvement requests but I can assure you that we are constantly working on improving Onshape. If you havent already, please submit this request through the feedback tool and we will notify you if an improvement is released!
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
     aaron_clark said:
    Has there been any progress made on this? Changing the color on individual faces on a part is absolutely vital for me. 
    This is a sadly missed feature for adding texture to models especially combined with split faces which we already have. I have worked around by having multi-bodies or different coloured surfaces but not ideal. Look forward to this improvement @timrice
  • ignas_savickasignas_savickas Member Posts: 1
    It looks like nearly 3 years have passed since this question was initially asked. Has any progress been made?
  • tim_snell803tim_snell803 Member Posts: 5 PRO
    BUMP - this feature would make colouring surfaces and quick presentable scenes a lot easier!
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @tim_snell803 - thanks for the reminder :smile: . This is one of the most asked for improvements and we are making progress. Turns out, it's a lot harder than you would think. Stay tuned.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Just marked next update to my calendar  ;)

@NeilCooke
    It's only coloring faces, what could go wrong =)
    //rami
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    If it doesn't work the developers will have red faces...
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Just doing another un-needed subassembly here, to put some black bits on a silver part. No pun, it's just what I am doing and wish I could just split face and change colour.
  • GpivovarovGpivovarov Member Posts: 3
    Any development been made here? 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Not yet. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • GpivovarovGpivovarov Member Posts: 3
    Please keep us posted, thanks for the quick reply! 
  • steve_thronesteve_throne Member Posts: 7 PRO
    Need to model a 2 color LED and be sure the layout engineer doesn't screw up the orientation.  Any update on being able to color different surfaces?
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still can't color individual faces, but you can create an open composite part with different colored bodies

• Stefan_MashchitsStefan_Mashchits Member Posts: 2
    Can you please make a feature that will let us mix the colors of parts so that we can't really see where the edge of a drawing is.
  • Stefan_MashchitsStefan_Mashchits Member Posts: 2
    If it doesn't work the developers will have red faces...
    LOL
  • ir_makerir_maker Member Posts: 1
    Has there been any progress yet on this feature? Seems like I still cannot edit the color of individual surfaces
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO

www.accuratepattern.com