Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What constitutes an "edge"?

jon_woellhafjon_woellhaf Member Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in Community Support
Consider this simple shape:

Why does Onshape show the intersection of the fillet with the flat surfaces as edges? It looks like I cut a tiny bit too deep with a mill.

I want the actual edges to show, but not the intersections of the fillet, which should be invisible.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Wesley_NWesley_N Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    This could be remedied with an option like SolidWorks has to show tangent edges as visible, phantom, or removed. I prefer that tangent edges display differently than a non-tangent edge.
    http://www.keystonecollections.com/ - Handcrafted Furniture                                   http://www.newswangerpen.com/  - Fine, handcrafted writing instruments
  • Options
    TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Please submit an improvement request through the feedback tool in the product "?" --> "feedback"
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    In CAD the perimeter of any face is considered an Edge .
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    edited December 2016
    jon-

to expand on what adrian said:

This is a basic concept to learning solid modeling. Vertices, edges & faces make up a solid model.

Truth:
    -every edge has 2 faces (at least in pro/e)
    -vertices can have multiple edges
    -a "solid" is a volume defined by a face or faces (once again pro/e)

While this may seem trivial, these 3 little nouns hold all the secrets to solid modeling.

This is so fundamental to what's going on here, you'll appreciate the importance more as time goes on.

Mastering these 3 nouns:

My vote, I want to see the face edges in the brep definition. Please don't take those away. 

• Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 520
    The improvement request here is not to take these away, it's to represent them slightly differently so that you know they are tangents edges.  Like this:

• Options
    Representing the tangent edges as PeteYodis illustrated is a good idea, I think, but I'd also like the option to not show them at all. My objective is to be able to render a more photo-realistic image.
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited December 2016
    @jon_woellhaf -  Is this what you are after?  Choose 'shaded without hidden edges'

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    No. Close, but this view softens details too much and seems to blur the image.
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    you may want to check out the App Store for rendering add-on.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    I hadn't thought of that. Thanks, bruce_williams. I'll do that.