Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Total 3D Newbie Question

larry_atheylarry_athey Member Posts: 10
I will start off by saying that my only computer drawing/diagramming experience is in the 2D world using basic programs such as Dia and Gimp under Linux. So, it's safe to say that things in the 3D world are not obvious to me.

Now, I'm not looking for somebody to hold my hand, I'm just looking for examples that I can watch and then use that as a guide to get me where I need to be. What I need to 3D print is something very similar to a 4" PVC 45 degree Y coupler where the 45 degree connection is a 2" connection. That's just what it's similar too, going to a hardware store and just buying one isn't going to get me what I need.

I have watched a number of Onshape tutorials and I have yet to find one that shows something like joining two pipes together at a 45 degree angle. Go ahead and laugh, but all I've managed to figure out so far is how to make a 4" pipe that is 4" long and has 1/8" thick walls. How to join a 2" pipe of the same wall thickness to the side of it at a 45 degree angle and punch a hole through the side of the 4" pipe is totally escaping me.

Can anybody point me towards some tutorials showing me anything that would get me down the road?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Great write up Jake! @larry_athey if you get stuck along the way feel free to make the doc public and post a link to the document here. You''ll find that many people here on the forum are quite helpful.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Thanks a million for the example and the cheat-sheet to duplicate it. I think that one of the biggest stumbling blocks for me here is the terminology used in Onshape and I don't know if this terminology extends to the rest of the CAD world. I will tinker with things and see where I get. Thanks again!
  • Options
    OK, one more quick question. The bottom of the 4" pipe...If I wanted to make that smaller in diameter in order to be able to stack these on top of each other, would that normally be done by making another extruded part and mating it to the bottom of this, or is it possible to actually shrink the diameter of the bottom of the pipe?
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @larry_athey  Least steps would be to follow @Armindilo  #1 making the main pipe sketch including the smaller end (and radii if you wish) and revolve would.    Or you could Add  with an Extrude or Revolve but that is more steps.  There is no way to just 'shrink' the end.

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    ArmindiloArmindilo Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You could add another extrude to the bottom of it. I would do it before the 'Shell' feature to maintain consistent shell thickness, but depending on your design you may want different thicknesses.

As before, there are multiple correct ways to do it: I would modify 'Sketch 1' to have a narrower section at the bottom. I've copied my original example here to demonstrate:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f6fec9930959f5e092add16f/w/cd8884dce5ef97e6734a4977/e/6ba02fc8205a4094e46ba226

Edit: updated URL.

• Options
    Well, I got it (kinda)...Just curious, why is the extruded part that I added to the bottom a different color from the rest of it? Does that indicate that they aren't all one solid part?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5859790b51077710486a8f8b/w/716cb9afff0a0d9bead7f527/e/1192545ab01868826d3c1fee
  • Options
    HakroHakro Member Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
    @larry_athey:
    Beside Part1 you created Part2 in the PartStudio. New parts get allways a new colour. You can use "Edit appearance" to change the color.

Or do you want only one part inside the PartStudio? Then you have to edit "Extrude5" and switch from "New" to "Add" and select Part1 as "Merge scope". But that will not work because there is a gap between the two parts. Error: "Boolean resulted in no geometry change. The parts either do not intersect or are totally contained."

• Options
    Looks like I answered my own question. They are two parts since the ID of the original part is 4.00 inches and the OD of the other part is 3.99 inches. Boolean union won't work, but changing either diameter won't allow them to be stacked (I still wonder if .01 inch difference between the two is enough in reality).